Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Towcestrians 3 - Leighton Buzzard 30
Your News Towcestrians 3 - Leighton Buzzard 30

Leighton Buzzard arrived at Towcestrians sitting on top of the league table, with a 10Pts goal difference advantage over Wellingborough and seeking to run up a handsome score against mid-table Tows and secure the League title outright in the final league game of the season.

After an initial stalemate between the two sides, around 15 minutes into the game the Buzzard forwards forced their way over the Tows to the delight (and relief) of the huge visiting Buzzard supporters. They may have expected Tows to roll-over under more pressure but they were surprised by a series of counter attacking moves which resulted in a Gag Evans penalty for Tows to bring the score to 3Pts to 5Pts. Buzzard then reverted to their successful earlier tactic and let their forwards drive forward when in a carbon copy of their first try, they then scored their second to take them into half time 3Pts to 10Pts ahead.

From the re-start Tows frustrated Buzzard with solid defence, and yet were losing territorial advantage and promising attacking positions by questioning referee Killicks decisions. Then with the ball in open play and the excellent Bodily in a clear position to score in front of the Buzzard posts, the referee gave an off-side decision which was questioned by the whole of the Towcestrians side. Referee Killick then finally lost his patience and yellow carded Bodily. A hard and cleanly fought game was then soured moments later by an ugly scene as a Buzzard spectator advanced onto the field of play to remonstrate with Bodily. Bodily subsequently refused to be engaged by this, and as he turned his back and walked off the field, he was intercepted by an irate referee brandishing a red card. From the resulting penalty, Buzzard crafted a converted try. This seemed to fire up the remaining Tows 14 men who penned the visitors in their 22 for the remainder of the game. With Buzzard desperately trying to create scoring chances from defensive positions, Tows tackles stopped them in their tracks and after finally running out of ideas, although they had won the game, they had failed to secure the points they needed and had to concede the League Title to Wellingborough with only a 4Pts goal difference.

Leighton Buzzard now meet Spalding RFC in a league play-off to secure their place in for promotion.

Leighton Buzzard RFC 2nd XV 16Pts vs Towcestrians RFC 2nd XV 8Pts

Buzzards win gave themn the League title, with Tows Colt Pete Brown scoring a try and Chris Dodd a penalty.

Towcestrians RFC 3rd XV 33Pts vs Leighton Buzzard RFC 3rd XV 0Pts

Tries from Capt Richard Causebrook, Andy Eaton, Ade Bodily and a brace from Rich Stewart plus 4 conversions from Daren Harrison, saw the Tows 3rd XV taking the League title in a final game down to the wire showdown with Kettering.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching