Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Pershore 41 - Oswestry 12
Your News Pershore 41 - Oswestry 12

Pershore played some of their best rugby this season on Saturday, and

comprehensively dispatched higher ranked opposition Oswestry. With the

backs again having to chop and change due to unavailability and injury,

they adjusted remarkably well, with the centre partnership of Matt

Cyphus, ans Steff Ellis, in particular causing problems all afternoon.

As usual, Pershores forwards were in majestic form, with the front row

of Peel, Humphries, and the ever improving Carl Redman, dominating scrum

time, and their big ball carriers, Hope and Whyte making constant in

roads. From the kick off, Pershore attacked Oswestry with wave upon wave

of attacks. Their big forwards could not cope , especially in the heat,

so it was of no surprise when Matt Cyphus, made a lovely outside break,

and his pass was timed to perfection, to release Andy Jenkinson, who

cruised into the corner to score. The conversion was missed. Pershore

again pressed forward, and soon Oswestry were penalised for hands in the

ruck, Whyte duly converted the penalty. Oswestry tried to gain some

possession, but an aggressive defence enabled Rob Owen to win turn over

ball, it was quickly moved to Steph Ellis, who simply outpaced the

covering defence to score under the posts, Whyte converting. Pershore

were now playing with a swagger, and again from very quick turnover ball

in midfield, swift interpassing between backs and forwards alike, and a

terrific run from Alex Peel, who was eventually stopped under the posts,

but his off load in the tackle was gathered by Matt Cyphus who crossed

the whitewash. Again Whyte converted. On the stroke of half time,

Oswestry managed to use their big forwards to catch and drive from a

lineout, and score, the conversion missed. 22 to 5 at half time. The

second half mirrored the first, with Pershore playing some terrific

supporting rugby, with Hanson at fly half mixing up his game, making

breaks, little grubber kicks, always keeping Oswestry guessing, so it

did not take long for them to add more points. A line out on half way,

enabled Pershore to maul, and then pick up and drive, for ten metres,

two further powerful surges in midfield got Pershore into a fine

attacking position, a chip kick ahead was gathered, and Adrian Hanson

was on hand to receive the scoring pass from Humphries to touch down.

The conversion was missed. The final quarter was now all Pershore, and

they were further rewarded when Steve Holmes capped a fine afternoon,

with an excellent solo try, fending off a couple of attempted tackles,

to touch down under the posts, replacement centre Scott Morris

converted. Oswestry added to their score when a lapse in concentration

under the high ball, enabled their winger to kick ahead and score a

converted try. The final score came when the forwards attaked from the

base of the scrum, No 8 Hope made the hard yards, and his lovely off

load in the tackle was caught by Carl Redman who crashed over, Morris

converted to finish the game. Pershore will now play higher ranked Old

Saltlians in the semi final, at Piddle Park next Saturday 1 May.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching