Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Old Rishworthians U16 22 - 3 Selby U16 Rishworthians make it four wins in five games
Your News Old Rishworthians U16 22 - 3 Selby U16 Rishworthians make it four wins in five games

Match report Sunday 13th April

Rishworthians hosted Selby this Sunday on a sticky pitch after heavy over night rain making handling difficult. After a slow start in the first half of the season the under 16s are now finishing the season with a flourish.

Selby kicked off and were soon in control during the early exchanges. Rishworthians starting sluggishly were pinned back into their 22 and conceded a penalty in front of the posts. Selby opted to kick for goal with a simple kick to take a 3 point lead. Rishworthians slowly worked their way back into the game through their forwards turning over Selby possession and working their way into Selby's 22 with a series f pick up and drives from the base of the ruck. Selby defended well for a time but as Rishworthians edged closer to the line number 8 James Cooper crashed over for a try. Tom Booth added the conversion to give Rishworthians a 7 - 3 lead.

Rishworthians continued to press from the restart and scrum half Josh Willans launched his backs giving Josh Ferguson a chance to run at the Selby backs and bring lay deep into the Selby half. Rishworthians were awarded a penalty but Booth's kick narrowly missed. Rishworthians had another chance to score with a 3 man overlap but the final pass went forward. From the scrum Selby cleared the danger with a good kick to touch. Watkins won the lineout with a good catch and drive, the forwards piled in to drive Selby back over their try line and Cooper claiming the try. Booth's touch line conversion was just wide.

Selby tried to get back into the game through their forwards but Rishworthians were very much in control in both the loose and set pieces. From a line out in the Rishworthians half the ball was passed to stand off Tom Booth who kicked upfield to clear the danger. Josh Ferguson following up out paced the retiring Selby defence and won a kick ahead and chase for the line to score in the corner. Booth missed the conversion to give Rishworthians a 17 - 3 lead at the break.

Half time: Rishworthians 17 - 3 Selby

Several substitutions were made at half time and from the restart Rishworthians continued to dominate the play. With 10 minutes gone Rishworthians increased their lead and sealed the match. The forwards were camped in the Selby 22 but the visitors stubborn defence kept the home out. As Rishworthians pack slowly crept forward towards the try line the Selby defence creaked and Rishworthians turned the screw to drive over with man of the match Cooper claiming the try and his hat trick. Booth missed the conversion.

The last 15 minutes of the game deteriorated into a forward battle with little ball for the backs but neither side looked like scoring.;


join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching