Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > South Woodham Ferrers 17 - Wanstead 8
Your News South Woodham Ferrers 17 - Wanstead 8

Woodham's disruptive season continued with midweek injuries and

last minute withdrawals. Captain Craig Mclellan had to reshape the

backline, giving colt Nick Killbey his league debut at fly half.

Colt Lewis Gilbert moved to centre along side Joe Dukelow and Sam

Dudley moved to an unaccustomed position of fullback.

Wanstead started the brighter of the two teams and were rewarded

with an early penalty. 0-3. On a heavy pitch Woodham slowly started

to take control, keeping the visitors pinned in their own half. Woodham's

constant pressure reaped its reward when after a number of phases

the ball was passed out to David Bull, his clever chip over the on coming

defence fell perfectly to winger Warren Duggan to score in the corner.

Young Killbey's conversion from out wide was good. 7-3. As the pitch

deteriorated so the game turned into a dog fight with neither team able

to control the ball. With half time looming Wanstead moved the ball from

a scrum to their centre on a switch. To the amazement of the spectators

and the player himself he was able to run through an enormous gap in

the home teams defence and pass to his supporting team mate to score

a simple try. The conversion fortunately was missed. 7-8 half time.

This score lifted the visitors spirits and they began to dominate both

possession and territory and had Woodham defending for long periods.

Prop Micheal Cheyne was sinned binned for a professional foul and this

further pressurised the home teams defence.

Woodham needed a spark to get them going and this duly came when

scrum half Murray broke down the blindside linking with No 8 Steve Jones

and skipper Craig Mclellan. From this one penetrating play into Wanstead's

half Woodham reasserted themselves and the balance of play swung to

the hosts. With Woodham now dominating, penalties began to flow. Killbey

missed one penalty before converting a more difficult one from further out.

10-8. Woodham sealed the win when the ball was moved from a good lineout

across the backline to Joe Dukelow who hit a great line to break the defence

and score on a quagmire of a pitch. Killbey's important conversion was good

giving the home team a two score advantage. 17-8. Wanstead did come back,

and with the last play of the game they thought they had scored only for a

foot in touch to rule it out. Final score 17-8.

A good win with such a young team on a poor pitch. A special mention to

second row Paul Morgan who stepped into the breech 15 mins before kick off.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching