Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Pershore 33 - Upton 7
Your News Pershore 33 - Upton 7

Pershore continued their rich vein of form with an efficient performance

over local rivals Upton. Again, as in previous weeks, the forwards were

imperious, who collectively destroyed the Upton 8 . The set piece laid

the platform, with Pershores scrummaging allowing Martin Hope at number

8 freedom to roam, and with him targeting the fly half , inside centre

channel, quick second phase ball, gave Pershores ball carriers, space to

run into, and cause Uptons defence all sorts of problems. Having said

that , the first quarter was all Upton. They threw everything at

Pershore, but failed to turn pressure into points. Pershores cause was

not helped though, with some poor decision making, and aimless kicking

out of hand which gave possession straight back to Upton. However,with

this early pressure absorbed, Pershore slowly took control, and with a

glut of possession, began to exert sustained attacks on the Upton line.

Eventually , after some lovely phases of play, Marcus Whyte exploited a

gap in the defence and crossed the line. The relatively simple

conversion was missed. Pershore began another succession of sustained

attacks, and Upton defended heroically, but again the power of Pershores

forwards was too much, and from 2 metres out, prolific scoring 2nd row

Marcus Whyte crashed over to complete his double, Dolphin converting.

Just before half time, aquick tap penalty from Steve Holmes saw him run

clear out on the wing, he passed inside to Ed Day, who in the tackle off

loaded to Alex Peel, who showed remarkable speed for a prop, to

outsprint the covering defence to cross the whitewash, Dolphin

converted.19 - 0 at half time. Whether Pershore took their feet off the

pedal, or Upton competed after the break, is debatable, but Pershore

certainly lost the killer edge in the second half, even though they

controlled proceedings. Fifteen minutes into the second period saw

Pershores first real attack, and with the forwards sucking in a

disjointed Upton defence, quick ball was transferred to Steff Ellis, who

cut inside, then outside the full back, to score under the posts,

Dolphins conversion was successful. Pershore then had their usual ten

minutes slumber, and during that period Upton were rewarded for their

tenacity when the ever dangerous Plimlow, saw a gap in the defence and

scored under the posts, the conversion was good. This woke Pershore up,

and the last quarter belonged to the home team. Again the forwards

smashed their way towards the Upton line, a succession of quick rucks,

and powerful drives, had Upton in all sorts of trouble. Gaps began to be

created, and eventually Rob Owen, a welcome return from injury, touched

down, and with Dolphin converting, the scoring was complete. For his

immaculate line out throwing, strong scrummaging, and support play,

Jameson Lane was man of the match.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching