Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Wallsend 20 - Gosforth 12
Your News Wallsend 20 - Gosforth 12

VENUE: Benfield Sports Centre

WEATHER: Chilly, overcast and damp

CRAIC: It is with great sadness that we report the death of Andy Cutter, aged 55, a prop

forward, who was a contemporary of Colin White and a key member of a

successful Gosforth team of that era. Our sympathy go to Andy's family and

friends. His funeral takes place in Solihull, tomorrow. Andy, a banker by

profession, was born locally and played for Rockcliff, Newcastle University and



Gosforth kicked off and started well with spring heeled second row Dan Tucker stealing

line-out ball from Wallsend.

However, Wallsend's open side flanker, John Baldwin, charged down an attempted clearance kick, secured a grip on the ball, and dived over for a try, to give the home side a 5 - 0 lead within two minutes.

Another Gosforth line-out steal was followed by a period of pick up and driving forward play, uncharacteristic of their usual style.

Gosforth's forwards put Wallsend under pressure: scrum followed scrum, drive followed drive, but the home side's defence remained stalwart and resolute. A long, clearance kick relieved the situation, Gosforth drove back and winger Matt Steel was unlucky not to ground the ball behind the Wallsend line.

The weather conditions worsened, hail lashed down, but Wallsend centre, Peter Hamil slotted over a penalty to make it 8 -0

The visitor's counter-attacked and winger Matt Steel shook off the Wallsend shackles to barge over for a try to narrow the gap to 8 - 5.

But that man Hamil slotted over another successful penalty kick in the concluding minute of the first half to give them an 11 - 5 lead.

Wallsend got the second half underway and the very physical, but fair, forward orientated contest continued.

Another Hamil penalty saw Wallsend comfortably 14 - 5 ahead within ten minutes. The chilly,damp conditions seemed to inhibit Gosforth's efforts to play a wider more expansive game.

A watery sun broke through and Gosforth celebrated with a slick handling move that created a try scoring opportunity for winger Rob Hearty, which fly-half Campbell, converted to narrow the gap to 14 - 12.

Wallsend's riposte came in the form of two penalty goals from Hamil's boot which sealed the win for the home side, 20 - 12. A hard fought encounter played in a good spirit, given the unpleasant, frustrating conditions.

Next week, Sunderland visit Druid Park for the final league game of this season.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching