Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Kenilworth 7 - Peterborough 21
Your News Kenilworth 7 - Peterborough 21

Fortress Fengate, foul weather and fired-up opponents proved an altogether too powerful cocktail for lacklustre Kenilworth in this crucial contest to avoid the third relegation place in Midlands One. After a promising opening quarter of an hour, the visitors could make little impression on a burly and well-organised Cambridgeshire outfit, who ran out comfortable winners.

Kenilworth opened brightly, and it was all Peterborough could do to keep them at bay. Unfortunately, this involved a series of blatant transgressions of the laws, such that after one too many, referee Nick Ashton felt it necessary to despatch Pete Brudnell, their talismanic No 8, to the sin-bin on 10 minutes, when he did not roll away. A subsequent offence, hands in the ruck, gave Chris Brown a penalty goal chance that he could not convert. Taking full advantage of a strong, bitterly cold wind, interspersed with hailstorms, the home side gradually got on top by kicking for territory at every opportunity. They were unlucky when the ball went dead, just as one of their number was about to touch it down. In such horrendous conditions, the play was inevitably scrappy, and it took fully half an hour for Kenilworth to create a decent chance, a kick and chase by Andy Whitehall ending with the ball also beating him as he was about to apply the finishing touch. A particularly severe bout of Peterborough pressure led to the opening score, a penalty goal in front of the posts by fly-half Ben Chan. As the half drew to a close, this lead was extended when a drive by the pack ended with an unconverted try by second-row Ben Crooks.

The start of the second half saw the forced withdrawal of Chris Collett, who had picked up a leg injury late in the first period. Matt Cooper came into the back row, with Nick Smith moving to hooker and Matt Davis to prop. The home side then extended their lead with another penalty goal by Chan after the Ks had strayed offside, and thereafter effectively proceeded to shut their visitors out of the game, and build wave upon wave of attacks. Thus it was no surprise, when on 18 minutes, centre Max Guseinov was on hand to finish a neat move under the posts, Chan converting the try. The Ks' scrummage was further disrupted and subjected to more rearrangement when Cooper was forced to retire, and Ross Lowthian came into the front row. Against the run of play, on the half-hour, Kenilworth struck back. A Mike Smith charge set up Gareth Renowden for a try that was converted by Chris Brown. With so much leeway to make up, Pete Roberts, on coaching duty, took off Dom Carrick, put Luke Brown in the pack, and introduced Alex Stanojevic at full-back. However, it had little impact during the remainder of the encounter, and visiting misery was completed when Chan struck another penalty goal just prior to the final whistle.

Kenilworth: Whitehall, Clements, Hersey, Noon, L. Brown, C. Brown, Renowden, N. Collett, Davies (Capt.), C. Collett, Carrick, Dingley, N. Smith, Nock, M. Smith. Replacements: Stanojevic, Cooper, Lowthian.

With numerous sides in the mix, and events at both ends of the table going right to the wire, next Saturday's final league game, at home to Luctonians, who are vying for the play-off place, could be of huge significance. Kick-off is at 3pm.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching