Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Buckingham 20 - Olney 39
Your News Buckingham 20 - Olney 39

With expectation high in the Olney camp, and a must win game at Buckingham to remain top of the league it was never going to be an easy fixture. It was Buckingham who were first to get a score with an easy three points by their Fly Half, followed by a good try by their Centre who spotted a gap and breezed under the posts, which their Fly Half duly converted taking them to an early lead of 10-0. Their Fly Half had another attempt at goal from a penalty though this was rather ambitious, and no surprise that it was not converted.

Having had Buckingham have a good few attacking phases against them, and ten nil up, Olney re-grouped began to relax into their game and started to look more composed as a team. Second Row Stephen Harrison made an attacking run with the forwards on his shoulder for support, and with Buckinghams players playing off side from every angle the referee held his arm out for Olneys advantage. Though as the ball was knocked on in play he then awarded Buckingham the scrum. This was deemed to be rather controversial as Olney had not received any advantage from the opposition being off side. Needless to say Olney played to the whistle and playing against the wind into the sun they continued to defend well, and look dangerous when on the attack.

Prop, Dean Henrickson was replaced by Ollie Brackenbury after an injury, and it was from the next scrum that Olney scored their first try of the game with the ginger Winger, Rory Duncan running a great line to pass to Full Back, Scott Filler to score. This was not converted. The whole tempo of the game was increased with both packs working hard to win ball and form a solid base for their backs to work from. Buckingham were awarded another penalty which their Fly half once again converted taking the score to 13-5 at half time.

Olneys number eight Ian Bennett was replaced by Gareth Cahill after a strong first half performance. With Buckingham kicking deep up field from the restart, Fly Half Dave Smith chose to kick back up field thus giving Olney territory, though Buckingham the line out. Though, from here Flanker, Tom Stanton made a great tackle as a player left the line out and winning Olney the ball which was then quickly passed through the backs to Winger, Will Edwards who ran in a try. This was not converted, but took the score closer to 13-10 in Buckinghams favour. Not convinced they could win a game with such a close score Buckinghams Fly Half made a fine individual try chipping over and beating the opposition to the loose ball to score a try, which he then converted taking the point difference back to ten points.

Olney now upped their game and with Rhys Peakman and Chris Parnham working well together in the Centre, it was no surprise that Rhys should score his first try of the afternoon from a simple backs move and then beating four Buckingham players on his own. This was converted taking the scores back to 17-20. Olney determined to score again, looked more determined than ever and looked a well drilled team. With their next score coming from a combination of set pieces in the forwards with great work from Prop, George Stanton and looking up realising there was another forty metres to go he opted to go to ground again and allow the ball to be spun to the backs and Rhys Peakman ran in his second try, not being converted but taking Olney into the lead 20-22. Back on the attack almost immediately and still on fire from his last try, Rhys chose to have a little chip and chase which he caught, brushing off the Full Back and passing to Hooker, Adam Kelsall who was flying through in support to score a try. This was converted by Dave Smith, taking Olney into a stronger position of 20-29.

With the referee announcing only ten minutes remained, both teams did their utmost to win breakdowns and gain territory making it an enjoyable game of rugby for spectators from both teams. Although it was more enjoyable for the away supporters, as they watched Rory Duncan steam in to the corner for a try, though it was not converted. This was then closely followed by another Rhys Peakman try to complete his hat trick taking the final score to 39-20 to Olney.

A most rewarding score after a great game of rugby by both teams alike. Though Olney had the slight edge, with that must win determination which shone through their performance. This must now be carried over to the last fixture at home against Beaconsfield to win the league and be rewarded by promotion.

Tries; Scott Filler, Will Edwards, Rhys Peakman x3, Adam Kelsall, Rory Duncan

Conversions; Dave Smith x2

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching