Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Milton Keynes 8 - Witney 13
Your News Milton Keynes 8 - Witney 13

After the break and knowing what a tough venue Milton Keynes is, the lads

really needed to be at their best to come away with anything from the match,

they certainly weren€™t anywhere near their best but somehow managed to come

away with two valuable League points. The less said about the first half the

better as Witney failed to set any platform and go through any of their plays

with much conviction. The home side scored one try and were the better side

in most phases of the game as Witney played in fits and starts and rarely

linked any cohesive moves together.

A stern interval team talk was in order and coaches Harper and Campbell

appeared to have done just that as Witney came out of the blocks in the

second half. Some good work from Carl Campbell set up good field position and

despite the referee doing his level best to get in the way, Witney broke down

the blind side. The home side gave away a penalty and skipper James Lamb

asked his brother Henry to kick for the corner. Hooker Sam Collins found

Charlie Bennett in the lineout and the forwards caught and drove with Collins

the scorer. Surely this was the catalyst for Witney to rise through the

gears ? Nope ! From the kick off Witney gave away a penalty and MK restored

their lead.

Witney slowly started to raise their games and the introduction of Tim Muller

gave them some impetus as the flanker put in a great tackle from the kick

off. Winger James Monks had one good run and skipper James Lamb put in a good

burst too but generally it was MK that still looked the better side and when

Owen Fowler was sin binned, it looked like the writing was on the wall. In

the end it was Witney that picked themselves up better during this ten minute

period and MK failed to ram home their numerical advantage, When Fowler

returned, the match was starting to swing Witneys way but someone needed to

produce something to get over the try line again. The moment of magic came

from winger James Monks who collected a kick on halfway and set off upfield.

A mixture of determined running and some ineffective tackling saw him romp

over for a great individual effort.

The last ten minutes saw the home side try and rescue the game but Witneys

tackling was good and no chances were created. Indeed, a late Tom Harper

penalty was the final score of the match and Witney came away victorious.

1st XV

Strutt, Collins(L), *Lamb(J), Strutt, Monks, Lamb(H), Bibby: Serle, Collins

(S), Richens, Fowler, Bennett, Caffekey, Campbell(C), Rowles

Repl: Kerr, Muller(Caffekey-45), Harper(H.Lamb-70)


Some enforced changes in the team and a long Christmas Break resulted in a

sub standard performance and the boys know they are unlikely to get away with

a similar effort in future weeks. I€™m sure some graft in training this week

will get rid of those last mince pies and see the boys raise their games

again. That said, two points at MK is always a real bonus, so well done to

the boys, a cracking result to start 2010.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching