Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Weymouth 45 - Puddletown 6
Your News Weymouth 45 - Puddletown 6

A TRY each side of the break changed the course of this entertaining and hard fought derby.

Puddletown had surprised the home supporters with a spirited first-half performance, which belied their lowly league position, but title-chasing Weymouth proved too strong and ran out 45-6 winners.

As expected the Monmouth Avenue battle started at a fast pace and the Seasiders were first to get inside their opponents 22, but wasted the opportunity to take the lead when Tim Peplow missed a relatively straightforward penalty.

Puddletowns immediate reply was to play their way back up field and, after repeated going through the phases, forced the home side into giving away a penalty for hands in the ruck.

Skipper Dan Udell stepped up to slot home the kick and give the visitors the lead.

The hosts tried to respond but despite plenty of possession were making too many errors, and the Villagers were soon within striking distance of the line again.

The pressure told once more, forcing another handling offence, and Udell gratefully added another three points.

As the half drew to a close Weymouth finally began to find some momentum and the visitors resolute defence, led by some excellent tackling from the likes of James Perrett and Scott Price, was finally breached.

First, Peplow scored with a penalty right under the posts, then full-back Dave Allan took an inside pass to finish off a good break down the left wing.

Peplow added the extras to put a rather relieved home side 10-6 ahead at the interval.

Puddletown desperately needed a quick response to counter this setback but instead it was Weymouth who struck again straight from the kick-off with loose-head prop Tim Comben driving over from close range following a ruck on the five-metre line. Once again Peplow added the conversion.

From that point on the Villagers found themselves coming under more and more pressure from the home pack, particularly after losing prop Jim Talbot to a neck injury.

And while Price, having a fine all-round game at scrum-half, continued to harry and disrupt his opposite number, he could do nothing about the now dominant Weymouth back row.

Their pick-and-go breaks from the base of the scrum repeatedly breached the Puddletown midfield and, in the final 30 minutes, set up the moves which led to a further four tries from Ryan Llewendon, Will Hughes, Julian Quick and Will Quick, which were all converted by Peplow to take the score well out of reach of the luckless Villagers.

Weymouth captain Mark Sample said: About 30 minutes into the game we were 6-0 down and people were looking around at each other and wondering how we managed to go behind in the game.

There were just too many handling errors and we kept getting penalised at the scrum.

But once we sorted that out we dominated the game.

Julian Quick, for me, was our man of the match, he was excellent, and Will Hughes had an outstanding game. The pair of them were sensational.

Puddletowns Dorset Piddle Brewery man of the match: Scott Price

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching