Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Yarnbury Hornets 12 - Cleckheaton 5 (including Yarnbury 3XV report)
Your News Yarnbury Hornets 12 - Cleckheaton 5 (including Yarnbury 3XV report)

Needing 5 league points from a possible 6, Yarnbury Hornets started tentatively against a strong experienced Cleck side.

It was clear from the outset that the visitors would look to use the pack to produce driving play with any ball moved beyond 10, quickly brought back inside to the forwards.

It took the home 8 a little time to get to grips with there opponents but slowly they began to gain some good possession.

The scoring was opened on 20 minutes when quick hands along the threequarters allowed John Bram ham to race 50metres before turning in under the posts. Joe Churnin converted. With more of the play the Hornets were beginning to make some breaks with Cleck constantly infringing in an attempt to slow Yarnburys second phase ball. On the stroke of half time the referee had seen enough and sent Clecks scrum half to the bin for 10 minutes.

Yarnbury started the second half looking to make the most of the extra man. This they did with 5 minutes gone. Good interplay between forwards and backs allowed Bramham to race 40 metres and hold off the defence to score in the corner.

On a rare visit into Yarnburys 22 some concerted pressure saw the winger cross in the corner with 12 minutes remaining. Sensing a chance, Cleck looked to pressure the home side but lacked the creativity to trouble the home line.

The whistle brought to a close a tight game in which the Hornets had to work hard for the 2 points.

Yarnbury 3rds 45 Ossett 2nds 5

The weather didnít put this game off but it did put spectators off as it was played at times in strong winds and painful heavy hail along with brilliant sunshine. Yarnbury started as strong as possible with good forward play that made yards although the big Ossett pack made them work for it. Making his seasonal debut for the 3rds Dave Gornall put in an impressive amount of effort to score the first try and his first for the season which was converted by centre Mark Rodrigeuz. Gornall will possibly move up the teams quickly as he showed promise in the line outs and with the ball in his hands. The second try came from good interplay and was skilfully finished by Matt Harland with Rodrigeuz converting again. Ossett hit back and scored a fine unconverted try. Mark Rodrigeuz then intercepted a loose pass to race 70 yards and score his first Yarnbury try that he was too tired to convert. The game was to and fro for the rest of the first half score 19-5.

The second half saw Yarnbury playing down hill with the wind and quickly put Ossett under pressure. Mark Fielding scored a long range try that Rodrigeuz converted. The next try was bizarre with both teams kicking the ball about 5 yards form the Ossett line. Ben Mortimer slashed the ball sideways to clear the gathering crowds and quickly chased up to touch down before the ball went dead, again Rodrigeuz converted. Graham Maycock coming on as sub capped a reasonable display with a cross field run after Matt Harland had cleverly slipped him the ball 30 yards out. Rodrigeuz converted again. Maycock showed promise and might move up the teams if he can sort his wayward passing out which at times let him down. The final try came from the ever youthful Fielding who showed his much younger teams mates how to finish a flowing move. The game saw the home debuts of many players and the senior debut of a star of the future Freddy Humphries. Final score 45-5

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching