Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Sevenoaks reach Kent 7's Cup Final
Your News Sevenoaks reach Kent 7's Cup Final

The sevens competition for the under-14 age group was held at Ashford on Sunday when conditions in Kent were better suited to winter snow sports than an end-of-season celebration of running rugby. Sevenoaks found themselves in a pool that would eventually provide all four finalists for both Cup and Plate competitions.

The Oaks were pitted against the Kent 15-a-side champions, Beccehamians, in their first pool match. Henry Croft and Alex Devine both scored for Sevenoaks with Tommy Fuller converting the latter. Beccehamians converted both their tries to win by the narrow margin of 14 12.

After this strong start, Sevenoaks conceded an early try to Bromley in the second pool game before a brace of tries for William Grist, converted by Fuller, gave the Oaks a 14 7 victory.

Next up were Aylesford who were easily dispatched despite the Oaks being reduced at one stage, either side of half time, to five players through two concurrent yellow cards. Tries for Connor OFlynn (2), Croft (2) and Grist and conversions from Fuller (3) and Sam Sheppard (2) made the final score 35 0.

In the final pool game against Sittingbourne, Ben Wombwell made his mark with a hat trick of tries. A further try from Grist and conversions by Fuller (2) and Sheppard (2) were offset by two converted scores from Sittingbourne for a final score of 28 14 in favour of the Oaks.

The Oaks faced Maidstone in the quarterfinals and were always in command running in five tries from Connor Cooper, Croft, Grist, Devine and Sheppard. Conversions from Fuller (2) and Sheppard (3) gave the Oaks an emphatic 35 0 victory.

The semi-final opponents were Blackheath who wanted to avenge a recent defeat to the Oaks after a drop-goal shootout in the plate semi-final of the 15-a-side Festival of Youth. The game was always going to be a close physical contest and so it proved. Croft left for hospital treatment to a deep cut above the eyebrow after a clash of heads and Fuller played no further part in the competition after a head injury.

Despite these withdrawals, the Oaks held firm as the weather conditions worsened. Neither side was able to gain the upper hand and the game finished scoreless. Under the competition rules, the Oaks went through on a try count back from earlier rounds.

The final re-matched the first pool game opponents, Beccehamians. Sevenoaks took an early lead with a try from Grist, converted by Sheppard, which they held until half time. Beccehamians started to exert control in the second half and despite excellent Oaks tackling from boys now tiring and very cold in the driving snow, Beccehamians were able to level the scores. The momentum was now with Beccehamians who then took the ball through several phases before creating an overlap to give them a second converted score. This was enough for victory by a margin of 14 to 7.


Squad: Will Ashworth, Alex Bowles, Connor Cooper, Matt Cooper, Henry Croft, Tommy Fuller, Will Grist, Connor OFlynn, Luke Philpott, Sam Sheppard, Ben Wombwell.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching