Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Slough 7 - Witney 49
Your News Slough 7 - Witney 49

The trip to Slough is always a little bit of a lottery and it was essential that

the boys were on their mettle to avoid a slip up the more so as Slough have

notched up some good wins to place them mid €“ table. So when there was no sign

of the Witney team at 14.27 with a 14.30 kick off looming, things did not look

too good. Road accidents on the M40 and the A404 turned it into a 2 hour journey

with no time for a warm up. Slough on the other hand had had so much warm up

time that they retreated to their dressing room for 20 minutes before kick off.

The opening exchanges had a sense of the frantic about them €“ overanxious and

impatient. It was not long however before Witney were on the board with a well

taken try by James Lamb converted by Eddie Mitchem. Witney extended

their lead shortly afterwards with a penalty by Eddie again, who has really

discovered his kicking boots this season. There were still too many penalties

being given away by over-anxiety and impatience. But Witney were getting into

their stride when a rushed pass from James Lamb was neatly intercepted for a

Slough try against the run of play, which was converted to bring the score to

7 : 10. Witney knuckled down and surging runs from Wayne Cafferky and the ever

improving Charly Bennett put Witney back into the ascendancy. A further penalty

from Steady Eddie eased the nerves and Witney began to move the ball about with

confidence leading to further tries from James Monks and Tim Muller brought up

half time at 7 : 25.

Slough never gave up however and their full back and scrum half put their bodies

on the line to stop a rampaging James Monks and Tim Muller. Witney were going

well now and the forwards pounded the opposition, especially Wayne Cafferky,

Charly Bennett and Joe Rowles putting all sorts of pressure on the opposition.

However, Witney had to be careful of not falling foul of the referee with some

injudicious naughty stuff in the rucks and another ref may have been tempted to

get the yellow out. But there was no holding the boys and further efforts from

Louie Collins (x 2) and Joe Rowles as well as a penalty from Eddie and 2 further

conversions put them out of sight. Eddie was brought off to protect his larynx

no doubt but there was no let up for Slough. A final conversion from Henry Lamb

was the icing on the cake and the ref decided to put Slough out of their misery

by blowing full time 3 €“ 4 minutes early.

A great team performance all round and its upwards and onwards to next Saturday

when Swindon are guests at Hailey Road.

1st XV

Mitchem, Overbury, Collins(L), Strutt, *Lamb(J), Monks, Lamb(H), Campbell(G):

Griffiths, Serle, Kerr, Collins(S), Richens, Rowles, Bennett, MacBurnie,

Muller, Campbell(C), Caffekey

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching