Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Weymouth 26 - Thatcham 16
Your News Weymouth 26 - Thatcham 16

WEYMOUTH won through to the next round of the Southern Counties Cup thanks to a 12-point victory over Thatcham.

The Seasiders ran out 28-16 winners at Wey Valley School to send their Berks/Bucks & Oxon Premier Division opponents packing at the first stage of the competition.

Home skipper Mark Sample had some injury worries and unavailabilities prior to the game but the Seasiders strength in depth shone through with the likes of Adam Hoxey and Adam Poole coming in.

After surviving wave after wave of Thatcham pressure early on, Weymouth stormed into a 9-0 lead courtesy of three penalties from fly-half Tim Peplow.

Thatcham began to make some headway in the forwards and were growing in confidence when a 20-metre rolling maul got them deep into the Weymouth 22, which ultimately ended in a pushover try.

However, by the end of the first period, the Seasiders were still in front at 14-8.

Following some stern words from player-coach Anthony Cowburn, who missed out due to injury, at half-time the hosts came out all guns blazing for the second period and could have scored a hatful of tries. Unfortunately though, the final pass failed to stick.

The missed opportunities were punished as Thatcham forged ahead for the first time, taking the score to 16-14 in their favour.

This stunned the home side into action and following a period of relentless attack, Weymouth hit back with two breakaway tries from the hardworking George Carter and Dave Allan to secure a well-earned victory.

Cowburn said: The players must keep believing that they are a good team and that we can collectively achieve so much this year.

Fitness is going to be key to this years success and Weymouth have shown plenty of that. The squad we have built here has so much potential and we are going to be a formidable team to anyone we face this year.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching