Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Southwell 28 - Kesteven 24
Your News Southwell 28 - Kesteven 24

On Saturday Kesteven played Southwell for the fifth time this season and for the fourth time away from home- surely this must be some sort of a record! For the first time this season two sides travelled away together as the 3rd team were playing their Southwell counterparts, this had a positive effect on morale and both sides arrived at Southwell in good spirits.

After a short warm-up the match kicked off and K's made a good start with Dom Brister, playing at 10 using the wind to good advantage with some long kicks. However, it was Southwell that opened the scoring with a break away try which was converted for a 7 - 0 lead.

K's replied strongly and scored two good tries, the first was a break up the blindside involving Doug Hayward and Dan Turner with Brister scoring. The second involved some excellent support play and passing by Chris Cluse and Richard Dolan allowing Ben Betts to score near the corner. One of the tries was converted by Turner and K's lead 12 - 7. Near the end of the half Southwell broke through the middle to score bewteen the posts, this was again converted and Southwell went into the break 14 - 12 up.

Early in the 2nd half Brister broke blind from a scrum and passed to Phil Jordan who released his brother Rupert, who beat his man on the outside and raced away to score under the posts, Turner coverted, K's lead 19 - 14. Southwell replied and their 8 broked blind and scored a coverted try from close range.

The match again swung back in K's favour when Mark Dent exchanged passes with Phil Jordan and scored to give K's a 24 - 21 lead with 10 minutes left. K's appeared to weather the storm, but the Southwell outside centre broke away with almost the last play of the game to score between the posts.

It was disappointing to lose from such a good position, and ultimately it was mistakes in defence that cost the game. But the pack worked hard for possesion all game and the backs put together some good attacking play.

Team: Smith, Dolan P, Sheardown R, Kmieciak, Clarke N, Hayward, Turner, Miles, Cluse, Brister, Jordan R, Dolan R, Dent, Betts, Jordan P.

Kesteven 2nds 18 Skegness 33

Skegness made thier first visit to Woodnook in years to play Kesteven in a friendly match. K's match against Notts University was cancelled as teh students were on holiday for Easter.

Winter came late to Woodnook and a gale force wind blew down the pitch. Kesteven had first use of the wind a quickly settled on the attack. Debutant Faolan Lidstone at fly half saw his first kick sail down field and Andy Brown, tackling the unacustomed role of scrum half made early inroads in the Skegness defence. Matt Harland got first points on the board when he intercepted a pass in mid field to sprint 50 metres to score a try, which he converted himself. He was to add two good penalty goals as K's forced that game, but the Skegness side defended well, preventing their line being crossed. Skegness for their part were playing sensible rugby into the wind, keeping the ball tight in their forwards. That pack was a strong unit who kept the young lihter home pack in check. A 13 - 0 lead at half time was unlikely to be enough and so it proved.

As the second half started the weather worsened and for 15 minutes K's faced ablizzard, with the snow blowing horizontally into their faces. Skegness do not take long to get their scoring started taking advantage of a defensive slip to score a try. A second followed a few minutes later. This was converted to bring the visitors to within a point.

The weather lifted for a few minutes giving K's a chance to set up an atack. Matt Harland found touch 15 metres from the Skegness line. Mark Sayle wn the line out and Tony Burton came in on a good angled run to score a fine try. This was to be K's last contribution in attack. K's brought on Dean Ward for Darren Featherstone and Dave Davies for Andy Brown to freshen things up.

Skegness grew in confidence and added three late tries, all converted to fininsh worthy winners by 33 to 18, surviving a serious shoulder injury to one of their props. The match moved to an adjacent pitch while the player was treated.


K's missed the experience of their older forwards this week. The young pack did well and on a dry day would have been able to move the ball away from the heavier Skegness pack.

Jon Korcz and Mark Sayle were prominent for K's in the pack while Andy Brown Matt Harland and Tony Burton were the pick of the backs. Special mention though for Faloan Lidstone making his senior debut just a week after his 17th birthday. He showed some neat touches and will develop into a fine player.

Team was D Blackley; W Price, M Harland, T Burton, D Featherstone; F Lidstone, A Brown; S Odams, B Davies, G Purvis, M Sayle, S Cunningham, B Login, J Smith, J Korcz subs D Ward, D Davies.

Southwell 3rds 30 Kesteven 3rds 10

Southwell won the toss and had the advantage of the wind behind them in the first half. They also had some fast, young backs. In the forwards the Black Army were dominant and shoved the Southwell forwards all over the park both at the scrum and through some lovely driving mauls. Problem was the Southwell backs who soon worked out that a pack with an average age of around 47/48 ish were not going to be able to get across to cover quite as quickly as in our younger days. We held out for most of the first twenty five minutes or so and had a few opportunities ourselves before Southwell scored through a good backs move. They quickly added three more before half-time as the penny dropped that they could out run us. At half time we decided just to go for it in the second half and we just threw ourselves forward at the beginning of the half. From a penalty five metres from their line the pack took the ball on, set up a driving maul and then peeled right and drove over as a unit for Nick Hardy-Gillings to score his first try for the club. We had had a fifteen minute spell of domination which we rounded off with a lovely move involving Rob Grindal, Mike Money and Nick H-G before Nick found Tony Wade with a lovely inside pass. Wadey beat the last man to go over for our second try. However, age took over and in the last fifteen minutes Southwell's backs ran in two more tries as the Black Army legs tired. We then lauched one final onslaught and spent the final three minutes of the match encamped on the Southwell line in a series of 5 metre srums to us. Despite the fact that Southwell collapsed three of these to prevent a pushover try a penalty try was not awarded and the match finised when we knocked on attempting another pushover try, Special mention must be given to the whole pack for a sterling effort and especially to Rob Grindal and Mike Money who were everywhere in the loose. Nick Hardy-Gillings had another storming game as a stand in second row. Many thanks to Roger Dent who came along to hook for us at the last minute. It was great to see Keiran Arnold back on the field again. Andy and Martin Sheardown both had terrific games at loosehead and second row respectively and their words of wisdom were gratefully appreciated. Steve John and Tony Wade at great games at half back. In the backs Carl Foster made some trademark crashing runs from the unfamiliar position of inside centre. Justin Welham made a number of powerful runs on the right wing and Tom Price covered well at full back.

Thanks to Phil Jordan's two mates who had come down for the weekend and ended up playing at outside centre and left wing respectively. Both are normally forwards but played really well. The one at outside centre made some great positive runs. Everyone came off the field having given 100%. Six tries to two to Southwell. Due to the wind conditions no try by either side was converted.

The side was:

15. T.Price 14. Welham 13. Phil's first mate 12. Foster 11. Phil's second mate 10. Wade 9. John 1. A.Sheardown 2. R.Dent 3. Arnold 4. Hardy-Gillings 5. M.Sheardown 6. Whittington 7. Money 8. Grindal

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching