Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Old Rishworthians XV 29 - 0 Burley XV
Your News Old Rishworthians XV 29 - 0 Burley XV

Future looks bright for Rishworthians as teenagers shine

Match Preview Saturday 23rd March

Rishworthians have a friendly fixture at home to Burley, to whom their new-look team lost in the first game of the current season. It was a game they should have won in the first round of the EDF Vase, throwing away a susbtantial lead to lose 20 - 16 at the Leeds club's ground. While Rishworthians would be keen to gain revenge, it is much more of a social game, with selection being left to the last minute.

The Copley club is making preparations to resume league action next week against play-off hopefuls Ossett.

It will be Rishworthians' first home league fixture since securing promotion to Yorkshire Four at Sheffield Medicals two weeks ago and celebrations are planned after the match.

Match Report

Rishworthians got a triple boost from this friendly fixture against opponents who beat them in the first game of the season. First it was used as training match for forthcoming league fixtures. Second it showed they could live with teams in the division above and third it proved a focus for the club’s crop of youngsters. Five tries were scored in total – all by teenagers – and once a lead had been established by half-time, coach Jamie Bloem used it as a chance to bring other players on, switching them from position to position. Burley lie mid-table in Yorkshire Four, where already promoted Rishworthians will be playing their rugby next season. While both sides had many first team regulars missing, it proved a good yardstick for the home team. Rishworthians resume league action next week against play-off hopefuls Ossett, so this victory gave an added boost to their aim to complete the season with a 100 per cent record. In total they used nine teenage players in the 21 who spent time on the field, with five of them getting in on the points.

The first try came early on. As the ball went along the line, centre Chris Flanagan made a break. He fed wing Nick Faulkner, who still had plenty to do before rounding his man and running in. Joe Billing added the conversion. Play was fairly even, with Rishworthians using their backs well, while the big Burley pack seemed to have the upper hand in the forwards.

Just before the interval the under 17 back rower Hedley Stirk picked up and drove over for a try to give a 12 – 0 half-time lead.

Half Time Rishworthians 12 - 0 Burley

Left winger Lee Atkinson saw plenty of action in the early part of the second period. First he was beaten by the bounce after a kick through. Then he was on the end of a flowing move started by Faulkner, who switched play back and fullback Anthony Shoesmith popped up to give Atkinson the final pass.

As players swapped over Richard Wild came in on the wing and immediately was on the end of a scoring pass after good work by another youngster, Jack Holmes, who had come on at scrum half for skipper Gary Morris.

In another player exchange, Atkinson came back on to scoop up a loose ball and dart over. Jack Butcher added the conversion.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching