Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Winlaton Vulcans 13 - Bishop Auckland 5
Your News Winlaton Vulcans 13 - Bishop Auckland 5

Ten minutes before the kickoff the weather conditions deteriorated and blizzard conditions completely covered the pitch. Winlaton were forced into two late changes with Clarkson and Mothersdale crying off. Steve “I’ll play anywhere “ MacLeod taking over at scrum half and Horsfall coming in at centre.

Winlaton kicked off uphill and against the elements. The visitors took the game to the Vulcans and after a period of sustained play on 3minutes they spun the ball along the three-quarters and scored in the corner 5pts the conversion went narrowly wide.

This spurred Winlaton into action and they began to take control by using their forward strength by driving up field. On 16 mins the ball was released to the backs and great interpassing between Mitchell and Horsfall made ground and almost to the try line however the ball was spilled and the clearance by the Bishop Auckland second row went almost 50 yards downfield.

For the next 15mins Winlaton kept up the pressure with Mcleod being involved in everything, prompting the forwards and tackling furiously. On 28 minutes after a continuous forward drive of about 30 metres the Vulcans forced their way over the line with ROBINSON claiming the try 5pts. Allisons attempt at the conversion went just wide. On 30 minutes another good 3/4 move initiated by Fleming in his own 22 and linking up with Tariq Albassam and Luke Mitchell made inroads into the visitors half but good defence prevented the Vulcans from increasing their lead.

Half Time 5 - 5

The second half commenced with Winlaton going on the offensive and after 3mins No 8 Robinson made one of his characteristic bullocking runs which resulted in a penalty being awarded 20 metres out in front of the posts which Gary Allison easily converted.

It was more of the same for the next 5 minutes and after an attack by Winlaton in the Bishop Auckland 22 broke down due to a knock-on, from the resulting scrum the Vulcans won the ball against the head Robinson picked up and a series of forward drives resulted in Gary Allison claiming the try 5pts he then failed to kick the conversion.

After this due to the adverse weather conditions the game deteriorated into a battle of attrition between the forwards. Bishop Auckland never gave up and they continued their efforts to the final whistle but stout defence by the home side led by MacLeod kept them out.

M.O.M Steve MacLeod.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching