Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Yatton 12 - Avonmouth 36
Your News Yatton 12 - Avonmouth 36

The consolation for Yatton was that they won the second-half in front of their loyal homeside support. But really the games outcome seemed to be in little doubt at the half-time whistle. Third from the top Avonmouth, pushing for the play-offs, against fourth from the bottom Yatton started fairly predictably.

With all the elements in their favour, wind, low sun and slope, Avonmouths well drilled and pacey back division were of to a quick start after their forwards had applied 5 minutes of pressure on the home sides try line. Wing Charlie Reynolds flew over and converted his own try but his charge-down try minutes later was not converted. When Yatton did breakout they with stood the attacking tide until the 30th minute.

Outside centre Gary Leadbeater then cut through at pace giving his side an easy conversion. No 8 Ryan Templar finished in the corner bringing the visitors tally to 24 points with apparently no sign of any answer from Yatton. Leadbeaters second try minutes before the break seemed to put Avonmouth well out of sight but Yatton had just made a tactical change in players and positions.

Yatton began to show more adventure and flair in their style as well as their customary hardened spirit. Wing Glen Jones try from, now at outside centre, Chris Randells pass started with midfield quick ball and put Yatton on the board on the 55 minute mark.

Although the game still swung from end to end Avonmouth now knew that they had a fight on their hands and their supports were thankful that the changes had not been made much earlier in the first half.

The quick ball then allowed centre Mike Harris to sell a dummy and run around to place the ball between the posts. Now playing at full-back Tony Hills conversion gave heart to the supporters but the heavy toll on the defending forwards during the first half, when spectacular wheeling was allowed, slowed down service from that end with only 10 minutes of normal time to go.

The final points went to Avonmouth from a soft unobserved try in the corner seconds after Yattons influential Hooker had been yellow carded. But the final whistle went as Yatton where on the attack once again and had Avonmouth defending in their 22 area.

After the Easter holiday break hopefully players will find their way back from the various tours. On Saturday 18th April Yattons 1st XV travel to Taunton, for the last league match, and to see if they can shake some money out of that top teams pockets. Also on that day Yattons 2nds have their final league game meeting Winscombe at home as do the 3rds against Chew Valley 2nds.

On the Sunday of that Weekend Yattons Under 17 are due to play Stockwood away after the Yatton side returns from its Tour and continental experiences in Holland. Meanwhile the tough Under 14s have their last but one game of the season against Clifton at home.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching