Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Pershore 13 - Old Halesonians 14
Your News Pershore 13 - Old Halesonians 14

Perhsore were defeated in dramatic fashion under the floodlights on Wednesday night when they played there North Mids Shield second round fixture against Old Halesonians. The visitors from Halesowen currently sit at the top of the league above Pershore but the difference in standing was not evident as the Pershore pack took control of the game. Although the visitors marginally edged the battle in the set piece it was the Pershore forwards who dominated the tackle area. As ever strong running from number 8 Martin Hope made in roads into the opposition defence.

Within 20 minutes Pershore were leading 6-0 after Will Woodhouse converted 2 easy penalties. Matt Harwood had a chance to extend the lead. Centre Adrian Hanson had kicked the ball ahead, Harwood won the foot race and dived on the ball over the line but we was adjudged to have knocked the ball forward and the try was disallowed. Pershore spent much of the remainder of the first half defending heroically. Both Alex Hanson & Ashley White made try saving tackles. With 5 minutes of the half remaining Old Hales were attacking the fringes of a ruck just 5 metres from the Pershore line. Prop Alex Peel entered the ruck from the side and gave away a penalty. Due to the offence being committed in the red zone the referee felt that a yellow card and sin binning was a suitable punishment. Although the penalty was under the posts and 3 points were on offer Old Hales opted for a scrum, however this proved to be the wrong decision as Pershore prop Luke Eversham had his opposite number under extreme pressure forcing him to collapse the scrum and Pershore were awarded a penalty and were able to relieve the pressure and see out the remainder of the half unscathed.

The second half was much the same as the first. Old Hales tactics of using there centres to run back in to the Pershore pack played into the Piddle Park outfits hands, with the back row of Copson, Holmes & Hope able to halt any attack. Each team missed a penalty and going into the last quarter of the game it seemed an upset was on the cards. Pershore were attacking the right flank, again through the forwards. Once inside the 22 fly half Will Woodhouse called for the ball, it found its way to Winger Andy Jenkinson who tried to take his opposite man on the outside. Seeing he would not make it Jenkinson popped the ball inside to fellow winger Stefan Ellis who was in support at blistering pace, he side stepped inside the full back and score under the posts. Woodhouse kicked the conversion to give Pershore a 13-0 lead. That is how the score remained until the last 5 minutes. Old Hales were attacking deep in the Pershore half and finally managed to breach the defence going over for a converted try. From the kick off it was important for Pershore to win possession. Winger Andy Jenkinson tackled the ball catcher. Old Hales recycled the ball quickly and seeing that Jenkinson was stuck at the bottom of the ruck they attacked the blind side wing which was being defended by Whyte & Peel. Outnumbered the Pershore defence were left stranded as the Old Hales back line made ground in pursuit of the line. The last line of defence was full back Harwood who could do nothing against a 2 on 1 and the visitors winger crossed the line to score a well taken try. Nerves were a plenty as the Old Hales full back lined up to take the kick, but his conversion sailed through the uprights to give a dramatic end to a fine game of rugby.

Old Halesonians are rewarded with a quarter final against Upton. With any chance of silverware now gone Pershore must attempt to secure a top four finish in the league. With that in mind they will play their final home game of the season on Saturday 4th April against Ledbury.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching