Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Towcestrians 18 - Northampton Old Scouts 13
Your News Towcestrians 18 - Northampton Old Scouts 13

In a re-run of last weeks fixture, Towcestrians confounded their opponents and blasted their way into the Alliance Cup Final with a very powerful display, to avenge their 32Pts drubbing of just one week ago and secure a date with Northampton ONs at Franklins Gardens on Tuesday 2 April 2008.

From the kick-off, the Towcestrians pack tore into the Old Scouts eight to set the tone of the game. Within 5 minutes both packs had to be separated for allowing their enthusiasm to spill over and after 10 minutes Tows had grown in confidence and were pressing the Scouts into unforced errors. On 12 minutes, slick passing from Tows released Matt Huck to score in the corner, and inexplicably, from the re-start a lack of concentration from Tows and their inability to secure the ball allowed Scouts No4 to race onto a kick ahead and touch down. With the successful conversion, somewhat surprisingly, Scout were ahead and Tows had to re-group. But we only had to wait a few minutes when a break from winger Pete Wallis up in support in the centre put James Padfield away in the corner for Tows to go 10Pts to 7Pts ahead. The Tows pack then effected sustained pressure forcing Scouts to defend on their own line and were rewarded when Chris Kirby was nominated as scorer for a push-over try. In this close encounter, tempers were frayed and having awarded the try, the referee also elected to give Scouts a penalty from the re-start. Scouts took advantage and using their territorial position, they secured a penalty to peg Tows back. There were more problems for Tows just before half time when Liam Wilkinson was cited with a yellow card for over robust play and from the penalty Scouts were within 2 Pts of the lead.

The second half was a tense affair as both sides struggled to get what increasingly became the all important score. Back to full strength, Towcestrians continued to have the better possession and territorial advantage and Scouts struggled to deal with the sustained pressure from the home side. Then just at the end of the 3rd quarter, Gag Evans struck a blow into the Scouts hearts when he slotted a dropped goal to take Tows 5Pts ahead - but by no means a safe margin. It was still anybodys game as we entered the final 10 minutes and with great character Scouts came back at Tows knowing that one score could maybe still win the game. Tows absorbed the pressure and in a final spell binding 5 minutes, Scouts had probably their best moments of the match as they camped on the Tows line and very nearly stole the result. However, Tows held on to celebrate a hard fought victory. Revenge was sweet.

Next week Towcestrians take their annual Easter tour, this year to Lille, before returning to play BBOB in a League fixture at home on 29 March 2008. Kick Off: 3.00pm.

Nuneaton Old Edwardians RFC (1st & 2nds) XV 22Pts vs Towcestrians RFC 2nd XV 24Pts

With no league fixtures, Tows 2nds and 3rds teamed up to visit Nuneaton Old Edwardians and were delighted to secure the win with a make-shift side.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching