Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Blaydon 27 - Blackheath 13
Your News Blaydon 27 - Blackheath 13

With the arrival of Spring came a welcome return to form for a Blaydon side that had failed to record a win in their previous seven league outings, but for 20 minutes there had been every possibility that it might have been extended to eight.

Blaydon's Charlie Raynor had cancelled out a Matt Leek penalty for the visitors but when the Blackheath man struck again it led to a try direct from the restart. Their winger Sean Moan shot through a gap on half way and put out a floating pass to Matt Vaughan for the full-back to race clear. Leek added the conversion to make it a deserved 3-13 scoreline for the visitors, but amazingly that was to be their final points of the game.

Undeterred by the deficit, Blaydon simply grabbed the initiative, initially though the efforts of winger Ben Mercer, to run in 24 points unanswered and well and truly put an end to their miserable run, gaining a try bonus in the process.

Mercer had already made two searing breaks to get Blaydon on the front foot before squeezing over in the corner after good work by Adam Dehaty and Martin Shaw. Scarcely had the dust settled when Raynor cut loose down the right and Mercer was in again.

Neither try was converted but Blaydon were now level and with everything to play for in the second period.

Brendan Daniel was the catalyst for try number three, securing possession to beat 2 defenders with easy to release Chris Clark who stormed in from 50 metres,

Blaydon tails were up, and following a long spell of running it back and forth No8 Jason Smithson broke blind from a scrum to grab the bonus point, and Raynor was on target with both conversions.

The game was in the bag, and a disconsolate Blackheath side finished with 14 men after their No8 Gareth Jones was red carded for a dangerous tackle on James Isaacson.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching