Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > South Woodham Ferrers 13 - Upminster 33
Your News South Woodham Ferrers 13 - Upminster 33

Woodham travelled to Upminster on a bright but

windy day. Upminster won the toss and choose

to play against the elements and up their notorious

slope. Woodham once again started slowly but did

manage to get an early score when Leon Gateson

out foxed the Upminster winger with a sublime piece

of skill that allowed him to sore in the corner. Brown's

conversion from the touch line was good. 7-0.

Upminster's large team responded, and with their game

plan of route one rugby made significant ground, helped

on occasions by a few first time tackles being missed.

Although Woodham had the slope, Upminster's scrum seemed

to win the early exchanges, making it hard for the visiting

team to give any sort of good ball to their exciting back line.

From a solid Upminster scrum on Woodham's line, the home

teams strong no8 broke free and offloaded out of the tackle

to a supporting forward to crash over,much to the delight

of the vociferous home supporters. Upminster increased their

lead before half time with a well struck penalty. Half time 7-10.

Woodham knew they had to up there work rate in the second

half but with the home teams forwards constantly off their feet

at the breakdown securing the ball at each phase it was only a

matter of time before the inevitable score.

This duly came when after a number of drives the ball was shipped

to the home teams tank like fly half to crash over from close range.

The conversion was good 7-17. Woodham, sensing the game slipping

away, upped the tempo. Running the ball,offloading and moving the

ball through forwards and backs, Woodham began to stretch the

home teams defence, but this good pressure was lost when Woodham

were deemed to be guilty of an offence at every breakdown. Frustration

began to set in as three of these penalties were converted. 7-26.

Woodham threw caution to the wind and started to run the ball at

very opportunity, this however back fired when a pass was intercepted

by the winger who then sprinted the length of the pitch to score.

The conversion from the touch line was good 7 -33.

SWF finshed on a high when from a rare penalty they ran from their

own 22,the ball passing through numerous hands eventually finding

second row Steve Jones who sprinted away giving a dummy to

the last defender before scoring under the posts. Brown converted.

Final score 14-33.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching