Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > St Peters, Gloucester and Truro College through to U18 Daily Mail Cup Final
Your News St Peters, Gloucester and Truro College through to U18 Daily Mail Cup Final

The final of the Daily Mail RBS Under 18 Cup Final will be an all South West affair with Gloucester's St. Peter's Catholic High School and Truro College today (Saturday) booking their place in the Twickenham showdown on April 1st.

St. Peter's, Gloucester, won the battle of the namesakes with a pulsating 27-25 victory over St. Peter's, York, while Truro College had to hold their nerve to clinch a 19-19 victory against John Fisher School, with the game going down to penalty kicks. Truro edged the win with five successful kicks to John Fisher's three.

For St. Peter's it will be their second Daily Mail Under 18s Cup final appearance in three years, with their last visit to England rugby's HQ a successful one. Truro College, meanwhile, will be making their Twickenham debut, having only ever reached the competition's last 16 previously.

St. Peter's, Gloucester's Head Coach Dave Pointon said: "We are of course pleased with the win, but you don't normally get away with a victory by playing badly, which is what we did in patches today.

"All credit must go to St. Peter's York as they threw everything they had at us, and their coaches have clearly done a good job with them. Now we have got the chance of a second cup final appearance at Twickenham and we are delighted with that opportunity."

St. Peter's secured their win with five tries, four of which coming after the break after the Gloucester side were 7-5 down at half-time. Their first touchdown came courtesy of scrum-half Sam Arnott, with fly-half Michael Wilcox, prop Levi Smith, No. 8 Liam Wilkinson and centre Jack Hayes then crossing.

In the second semi-final of the day, Truro College had initially looked like they would breeze into the final with a comfortable 12-0 lead at half-time after tries from Sam Newman and Herbie Stupple, with Ben Hawke adding one conversion.

John Fisher, however, didn't give up and bounced back immediately after the restart with two good tries, taking the score to 12-12. With both schools adding another score each, they were tied at 19-19 at full-time, leaving penalty kicks to decide the game.

Truro and John Fisher converted all their penalties in front of the post, but John Fisher struggled went the kicks were moved out-wide, and Truro took advantage kicking two penalties to seal the victory.

Truro's Steve Larkins, who coaches the side alongside Ricky Pellow and Will Davis, said: "This was a very hard way to win a game, and we would have preferred to do it during actual game play. However, the result has gone our way and we are delighted with that.

"This has been a long time coming for the school. We have been taking rugby very seriously at the college for some 12 years now, so after a lot of hard work from the likes of Robin Cowling, Ricky Pellow and Will Davis, we are over the moon to have reached the final."

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching