Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Coventry 29 Sedgley Park 24 Saturday 28th Febraury 2009
Your News Coventry 29 Sedgley Park 24 Saturday 28th Febraury 2009

Written by John Butler

The Butts Park faithful could very justifiably be asking, where did that one come from? Producing arguably their worst performance of the season, certainly at home, Coventry somehow got themselves out of jail with two tries in the last five minutes to ultimately claim another five league points that just a little earlier had looked pretty unlikely.

This was a strange old match indeed and Sedgley Park, who have made something of a habit of upsetting the odds on Coventry soil came very close indeed to doing just that again.

In front of a decent sized crowd on international day but boosted by a good attendance of school children following the hard work put in to attract them to the game, Cov somehow produced a performance that was so full of mistakes and lacking direction and cohesion, it was difficult to take on board this was the side that had achieved so much in the previous two home matches against sides in the top spots. Perhaps that was part of the problem against a side surely destined to not have a place in next season’s championship, but playing nevertheless with a lot of pride.

Two particular incidents will in differing ways be remembered from this match. The first, a nasty looking injury sustained by Jamie Miller in the 14th minute when the flanker was knocked out cold in the act of very nearly scoring. It was fully five minutes before the game could re start, Jamie being carefully taken from the field on a stretcher and then to hospital for checks. All we are sure will wish Jamie well, Darren Clayton replacing him. The second came after some half an hour when after a mass brawl inside the visiting 22, Park number eight Cook decided further action was necessary in front of both referee and touch judge, who after consultation red carded the player.

How and why then did Coventry against 14 men for fully 60 minutes manage to make such as mess of things ? Difficult to answer ,but one player stood out head and shoulders and finally rescued his colleagues. Man of the match Myles Dorrian was superb, tormenting Sedgley throughout and it was fitting his endeavours finally brought some sanity to a dreadful Cov performance.

A sluggish start, but Chris Whitehead prominent with several surges and it was the hooker who opened the scoring driven over after 6 minutes for Myles Dorrian to convert. Dorrian made the first of his telling breaks leading up to the Miller injury and with the lengthy stoppage which followed, Coventry, understandably lost some impetus.

Laurie McGlone was held on the line after 29 minutes and after the Cook sending off, Cov’s no 8 was again close from the resulting scrum. On 40 minutes it became 7 pts all. Possession lost in the visitors 22 saw the ball moved swiftly right for winger Swadkins to fend off an attempted Winter tackle before Park’s top try scorer ran in unopposed, Riley converting. Five minutes into the lengthy time added on however, a piece of individual Dorrian brilliance saw the Aussie fly half weave and jink his way over from 30 metres for an unconverted try, 12 -7 at the break.

Surely with a man advantage Cov would make it pay. Well, to their credit Sedgley Park re grouped so well and Cov continued to make life so difficult for themselves with haphazard passing and untold errors, it looked for a long time a shock was on the cards. 12-7 became 12 -14, centre Tafa crossing after poor midfield defence, Riley converting. Cov finally roused themselves, George Dixon powering in at the corner for 17-14, before on 56 minutes the visitors who would not lie down went ahead again. A Lloyd break saw scrum half Wilkinson bounce off Ben Russell, Riley converting as well as adding a penalty on 68 minutes for 17 -24. It could have been worse, a length of the field move seeing Park knock on very close to the line.

Finally and staring embarrassment in the face, Cov at last reacted with positivity. 72 minutes saw pressure held before replacement scrum half Ben Jones knocked on. Twice though in the last five minutes replacement wing Lee Parry was set loose to pull the game around. On 76 minutes a Myles Dorrian surge supported by Darren Clayton saw Parry cut in from the right, Dorrian converting, before once again yet another superb Dorrian break cut the Park defence apart, Donovan Sanders feeding Lee Parry who crossed in the corner to the high relief of anyone favouring Cov colours.

It was close, mighty close. Sedgley Park could certainly be asking themselves having got into such a position how did they lose. Coventry, having produced one of the poorest home performances in many a long day finally got there and ultimately that was almost down to one man, Myles Dorrian. Five points but hardly deserved.

Coventry. Ben Russell, Ben Toft, George Dixon, Donovan Sanders, Ollie Winter, Myles Dorrian, Mike Walls, Rob Dugard, Crhis Whitehead, Rudi Brits, Sam Herrington, Carl Burgess, Henno Venter (Capt), Jamie Miller, Laurie McGlone.

Replacements; Darren Clayton for Miller, Ollie Atkinson for Herrington, Ben Jones for Walls, Lee Parry for Toft, Ricky Whitehall for Dugard, Stewart Pearl for Whitehead.

Coventry. Tries; Lee Parry 2, Chris Whitehead, Myles Dorrian, George Dixon. Conversions; Dorrian 2

Sedgley Park. Tries ; Peter Swadkins, Richard Tafa, Chris Wilkinson. Conversions; Matt Riley 3. Penalty goal; Riley

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching