Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Melbourne 35 - Nottinghamians 12
Your News Melbourne 35 - Nottinghamians 12

Only one change was made by Euen Holden from last weeks side and that was to bring Bob Stowell into the front row to replace the unavailable Pop Lakin. As last week the wind was howling down the pitch and Melbourne were asked to play with the wind during the first half.

Nottinghamians apparently had to avoid defeat to prevent certain relegation so it was not surprising that the opening quarter of the match was played out without any side gaining much advantage. Melbourne slowly started to work their way into the Nottinghamians 22 and test their defence, this did lead to penalties being conceded that Holden with the wind behind him slotted over in quick succession to give Melbourne a 6:0 lead.

Soon after this Paul Devanney took a quick tap penalty and broke through the retreating defence, Ian Lucas was in support to score from nearly a yard run in, 11:0. Melbourne were now starting to build on both possession and territory with some good work from the forwards drawing the Notts defence into contact and allowing Holden to kick the ball deep into the opposition 22, the strong wind preventing Notts from making any ground with clearing kicks so much of the half was now being played in the away 22.

Melbourne's next score came from a set move from a line out with Peter Welsh ignoring the 5 man overlap to crash over the line to score, Holden converting 18:0. Nottinghamians did raise their game and tested Melbourne's midfield defence with some probing runs from their centres and wings.

Melbourne finished the half with another penalty from Holden and then Keir Biggins scored near the posts, Holden converted to make the half time score 28:0.

Although the scoreline looked good enough to hold on to, the wind had played a big hand and the half time talk was all about defence. Goodyear came on for Stowell as the only replacement.

Melbourne continued the second half in the same manner with the forwards mauling to make good ground and keeping possession, any mistake allowing Notts to kick 50 - 60mtrs down the pitch. Nottinghamians were also starting to get into the game with some better ball to their backs only superb tackling preventing them scoring, some huge tackles from Middleton and Foster.

Melbourne scored again after Rob Foster was stopped just short of the line following a superb running line to break through the defence, Will Judge was in support to score under the posts, Holden converted to increase the score to 35:0.

Nottinghamians finished the game strongly scoring two tries, one under the posts and one right in the corner to close the gap to 35:12.

Next week sees Worksop visit Cockshut Lane in the 3-Counties Cup, Worksop are top of the league below and having beaten North Derbyshire in the last round will be tough opposition for Melbourne.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching