Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Belgrave 52 - Kesteven 7
Your News Belgrave 52 - Kesteven 7

With a much changed side due to unavailability and the internationals playing , The forwards welcomed backed Tank into the back row, Andy Sheardown appeared in the 1st team for the 30th consecutive year and Jordan Smith along side with his first ever appearance in the 1st fifteen.

The backs shuffled around a bit with Dan Turner stepping at 10, Max Haddad coming back into inside centre, Daz Blackly coming into the side at the last moment on the wing and Brett Login stepping into the scrum half position.

The 30 minute journey gave the bear 15 travelers chance to reflect on the poor turn out and build the confidence of the last minute, put together side.

Andy Peabody, well worthy skipper, managed to instill a bit of motivation into the lads and when the whistle blew to start the game, it very much felt like the confidence of the last 2 weeks results were going to be carried over.

However, the big, well drilled Belgrave forwards were going to have much of the play in the 1st half. Although K’s tried to capitalize on the strong wind at there backs, too many knock ons and mistakes saw Belgrave run in 5 unanswered tries.

The 2nd half was a different game, after the half time talk, the Kesteven players came out with a different game plan and it showed straight away. The pick and go method was very effective and saw the Belgrave side unable to answer to the changed approach to the game. Although the Black forwards struggled in the set pieces throughout the game, they made up for it around the park. There were a few notable breaks from Haddad and Dolan in the centre’s and Peabody and Clarke in the forwards, this encouraged the whole side to go forward and nearly got some points on the board, unfortunately a wayward pass saw the Belgrave winger kick the ball away from danger.

Belgave ran in a furher 3 tries in the 2 nd half and were deserved winners but skipper Andy Peabody scored a well earned try at the end for K's. Dany Turner added the conversion to make the final score 52 - 7.

The Kesteven boys that traveled can be very proud of their efforts and a big thank you goes to Daz Blackly and Jordan Smith for stepping in at the last hour and a quick mention to the Stalwart that is Andy Sheardown for playing with the 1st team for 30 years in a row.

Saturday 8th March

Kesteven II XV 36 – Bourne 0

The 2nd team came into this match on a splendid run of results.

A strong wind blowing down the pitch made playing conditions difficult, but Kesteven made light of them to turn in another great performance.

Andy Brown set the tone when he grabbed the kick off to take play well into the Bourne half. He was well suported by the rest of the pack and it was no surprise when the home side took an early lead with a forwards move finished off by young Mark Sayle. K's kept possession well and tried to play open rugby. Simon Oakes at flyhalf spread play well and Graham Smith, enjoying a run in the centre showed good hands which meant that Andy Price and Tony Woolerton were able to put the Bourne defence under pressure. This yielded the second try when Andy Price broke up the left wing. When he was stopped the ball was worked quickly along the threequarter line and Tont Woolerton used his strength to go over for a try. Andy Price then added the conversion with a fine kick into the wind. The half ended with a third well worked try from a short penalty. This time the ball was passed down the line to Pete Mount who straightened up and sent an inside pass to young Mark Sayle who scored at the posts. Price added the goal points to take the score to 19 - 0.

Kesteven had the ebnefit of the winf=d in the second half and Simon Oakes was keen to keep Bourne pinned back. The home side did not just rely on he wind. There was some fine interpassing play between forwards and backs with Andy Brown particularly prominent.

Andy Price was playing well and was next to score when he ran straight and took two efenders over the line for the try. This started a scoring burst and Mark Sayle senior kept the family honour by going over for the next try with a storming run from 30 metres. Pete Mount made up for his aberration of last week by popping over the conversion for his first point for the club. The next try was another beauty with Scott Odams finishing off another great flowing move. This left the final score 36 - 0 to Kesteven.

This was another very good performance from a side well led by Andy Dowling. The young players benefitted greatly from the experience of Simon Oakes, Mark Sayle senior and Graham Smith. Andy Brown is a terrific young player and Chris Cluse and young Mark Sayle were not far behind. We also had the delight of seeing players like Darren Featherstone and Dean Ward, both new to the game this sesaon developing.

Team was A Price; T Woolerton (Stef Bowles after 40 mins), G Smith, P Mount, D Featherstone (D Ward after 40 mins); S Oakes. C Cluse (S Cunningham after 40 mins);

P Shields, A Dowling (S Odams after 55 mins), G Purvis, C Lock, M Sayle Jnr, A Brown, M Sayle Snr, J Grainger (D Tweddle after 40 mins)

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching