Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Newark U15 26 - Deeping U15 35
Your News Newark U15 26 - Deeping U15 35

Deepings came into this game with some trepidation, having already lost twice to a strong Newark side this season, despite winning three consecutive games in recent weeks.

Because of the size of the Newark squad it was agreed before the game that there would be three 20 minute periods rather than two normal halves of 30 minutes.

From the kick off it became clear that the Deepings forwards would be an important factor in the game and they quickly won two scrums against the head. This was quickly followed by several probing runs by both the backs and forwards which enabled Matt Simpson to score a try converted by James Thompson.

Number 8 Josh Wells then picked up the ball from the back of the scrum to run 60 metres to score a dramatic try under the posts.

At this stage Deepings were in command of the game but a loose kick into the hands of the Newark centre enabled them to score making it 14-7 to Deepings at the first interval.

At the re-start Newark used the wind advantage to keep Deepings pinned in their 22 and it was not long before they levelled the score from a line out close to the Deepings line.

Newark then quickly scored again following a scrum close to the Deepings line to give them a seven point lead. At this stage the game appeared to be going Newarks way but a determined run by Aaron Wall led to a penalty try being awarded to Deepings following a high tackle as he was about to score.

At the second interval the score was evenly balanced at 21-21.

Soon after the game resumed Vernon Horne embarked on a searing run, during which he broke several attempted tackles, to score but was then inexplicably fouled after grounding the ball. This incident led to a Newark player being sin binned.

Newark were determined not to be beaten and once again put immense pressure on Deepings before scoring a try following a series of well earned penalties close to the Deepings line.

The intensity of the game continued until a combined move involving forwards and backs gave Deepings a try through James Thompson in the dying moments to make the final score 35-26 to Deepings.

After the game Deepings Coach Steve McLean congratulated his players on their performance and told them that they were now developing into a side capable of giving even the strongest teams they meet a good run for their money.

Deepings man of the match title was awarded to Luke Murphy.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching