Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Glasgow Accies 5 Linlithgow 12
Your News Glasgow Accies 5 Linlithgow 12

Frustration for Accies at New Anniesland

Glasgow Accies 5 Linlithgow 12

Saturday 24th January 2009

New Anniesland

Prior to this game Accies were full of confidence, as they knew how Linlithgow would play the game. It would be 10 man rugby played up front with their big pack securing enough possession to allow their half backs and full back enough ball to kick deep for territory and hope that the referee would give them enough penalties to win the game.

And that is exactly how they played it.

Despite this knowledge and Accies pack matching them superbly throughout the game it turned out to be frustration for Accies all afternoon.

Frustration that they lost a game in which they played most of the rugby, frustration that their handling let them down and they failed to convert three cast iron chances, frustration with a weak referee who gave Accies well less than half of the 50:50 decisions, frustration that they scored the only try of the game, frustration that they lost Alan Wilson their stand off and Robin Bryant the influential lock forward in the first half and finally frustration that the last chance of promotion this season has probably gone.

Having said that there were a number of highly promising aspects to their performance. Firstly Gareth Williams gave a superb running performance at full back and time after time carved huge swathes of space through the Linlithgow defence. Unfortunately he had to move forward to stand off after Alan Wilson went off with an ankle injury following a trip. Secondly a number of the forwards played as well as they have all season notably Fabi Marchetti in the first half with his play in the loose and Dave McLaughlin after he came on to replace Robin Bryant.

The game was played in almost perfect conditions for a winter day. The breeze was light, the sun shone and the pitch was remarkably firm. Just the day for running rugby that sadly we did not get.

Linlithgow scored in two minutes from one of the numerous penalties that they were awarded in the first half, many that left the Accies players and spectators puzzled because there seemed to be as many offences against them that went unpunished.

Following this setback Accies came right into the game and drove play right up to the Linlithgow line but without success. They looked particularly dangerous when Gareth Williams fielded the numerous down field kicks and ran back at the defence.

Linlithgow weathered the storm and scored again from a penalty in front of the posts.

Accies followed this with their best attacking period of the half and were awarded with a fine try when No.8 Graeme Simpson picked up from the base of a scrum and fed the ball to Richard McKnight who sold a dummy and jinked through the defence for the only try of the game.

Straight from the re-start Linlithgow went on the offensive and took play to the 22 where from a suspiciously looking knock on the ball was fed back to their full back who a kicked a superb drop goal from 40 metres.

Once again Accies went on the offensive and should have scored. Gareth Williams burst right through and if he had continued at the pace at which he was going would surely have scored however he passed to Chris Breckenridge who seemed to have the line at his mercy but decided to beat the only remaining defender with a further pass. Unfortunately it was intercepted leaving the defender with an open field. Fortunately for Accies he decided to kick and the danger was cleared. This was probably the turning point in the game as a 12 –9 lead going into half time with the breeze to come would surely have been enough to secure the win, however it was not to be.

In the dying minutes of the half Linlithgow were awarded another penalty in front of the posts and converted it for a 12-5 half time lead.

The less said about the second half the better. Accies had numerous chances to score but their handling let them down. Linlithgow clearly had decided that they had done enough to secure the points and when they had possession simply stuffed the ball up their shirts to kill time.

They did however have one gilt edged scoring chance in the final quarter when for the first time their centre broke through and seemed certain to score in the corner. Richard McKnight brought off a magnificent cover tackle and saved the day and the losing bonus point.

Eventually the final whistle went three minutes early with Accies close to the line but it wasn’t going to be their day.

This Accies side has shown a great deal of improvement since the start of the season especially the forwards who are now a formidable unit. With the league chance now away the coaches need to work on the backs handling and now may be the time to bring in some of the younger players who have been showing up well in the 2nd XV.

Accies can still finish in third place in the league but to do so need to beat Hawick YM at New Anniesland next Saturday. Kick off 3-00pm.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching