Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Tyne second best at Blackheath
Your News Tyne second best at Blackheath

Blackheath 28 v Tynedale 3 (Half Time: 18-3)

Tynedale were distinctly second best on the day against a sharp, strong, determined Blackheath side who must be wondering how they didn't secure a winning bonus point bearing in mind the amount of possession and territorial advantage they held for almost the entire match.

Tyne actually started brightly and were quickly rewarded with a Rob Miller penalty in the second minute of the match. The first five minutes were however to be Tyne's best period of the match and the home side levelled after 6 minutes when Tynedale were penalsed in front of their posts.

The home side continued to attack strongly although Tynedale's scrum appeared to have the upperhand against the opposition - surely after the first three Blackheath put-ins had resulted in the home scrum being edged backwards, followed by the front rows going up, only a young promising but inexperienced referee could penalise the Tynedale front row for standing up!

With what seemed to be Tyne's only area of superiority negated by the officicial it was then a rearguard action for the rest of the match as the home side put together attack after attack.

The first Blackheath try came after 22 minutes from a 5 metre scrum following a long period of pressure - the try was converted for a 10-3 home lead.

Four minutes later an unnecessary late tackle gave Blackheath their second successful penalty and the second home try came on 34 minutes following a quick free kick aftter the Blackheath scrum had won the free kick for failing to take the "hit"!

On the stroke of half time Tyne put together their best move of the match but were penalised for holding on just when a try seemed inevitable - 3-18 down at half time.

Tyne were under the cosh for almost the entire second period but a combination of excellent tackling and a lack of guile by the home side kept the score down to reasonable proportions. Blackheath in fact were restricted to a drop goal after 19 minutes and a late converted try which came in the second minute of extra time at the end of the match.

Sadly a disappointing day for Tynedale was made worse with Grant Rastall leaving the field with a serious shoulder injury in the last quarter of the match.

TEAM: J Smales (G Beasley), F Shaw, J Harrison, B Duncan, J Hoyle, R Miller, R Samson, P Southern (J Williams), J Graham, R Harden , A Murray, B Marshall (K Showler), G MacGilchrist, G Irvin, G Rastall (M Fieldhouse)

REPLACEMENTS: G Beasley, J Williams, M Fieldhouse, D Grattan, K Showler

SCORERS: R Miller - pen

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching