Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > BIG WIN FOR GHK

GHK 91 Wigtownshire 12

The return fixture against Wigtownshire on the big pitch at Old Anniesland was the first outing since the excellent display against Dumfries in the cup. We were all hoping that the boys were still in the kind of mood they displayed that day.

The first 10 minutes did not auger well: the line out was a particular disappointment. With our speedy backs and a big wide pitch, we had to get better ball from the forwards.

The touchline bufties should have more faith as the boys soon got their act together and good hands got the ball to Rory Love who nipped past his opposite number for a try. With no Robbie Stewart, Davy Whyte stepped up to the plate and converted for the first of his umpteen of the day.

Two minutes later and our fearless leader pinched a loose ball and quick hands to Rory let him skip past a couple of flailing defenders to dot it down - Davy converted and it was 14-0 after only 14 minutes.

Great hands from Andy Fleming, Davy and Rory came shortly after and winger Fraser Clark was unlucky not to get a try. The real thing was just around the corner though, and Davy Whyte did the business in the corner and duly converted from the touchline. 21-0.

Next up was Andy McTavish after excellent work from Mike Borthwick and Danny Hoffman. The kick ahead from McT did cause a flutter on the touchline but he managed to get the touchdown so all was forgiven. Bonus point secured after 22 minutes.

The next few minutes saw our yellow card count for the season so far double as first John Lohar and then McT went for a rest. So, 30 minutes gone and we were down to 13 men. The boys were undaunted, however, and a great break from Danny Hoffman saw him take it all the way under the posts converted by Davy - 35-0. He followed this up with a penalty.

Final action of the half was a scramble on our line and Shire managed to touch down. Half time score 38-5.

It was a quiet start to the second half but Davy got a couple of penalty chances - 1 hit the woodwork but he slotted the other. 41-5.

The presidential gaggle was rewarded by one of the great moments in sport when Disco breenged into the opposition and a dummy that would have graced the great Gerald Davies gave him the chance to pop the scoring pass to big Andy McTavish - no conversion. 46-5.

A couple of silly penalties from us gave Shire good possession and they capitalised with a converted try 46-12.

We were back on the score sheet in a couple of minutes with a lovely pick up from the scrum by Mike Borthwick who went on to score himself. Davy converted. 53-12.

The tries came thick and fast now as our backs simply ran riot with some great handling and running lines. Wigtownshire just could not live with some really outstanding play.

Rory Love got the next swiftly followed by Kerr Gossman and Andy Fleming all after great handling by backs and forwards.

Highlight was Kerrs second try: he took the ball from the kick off and just weaved and sidestepped past umpteen would-be tacklers to score under the sticks. Wigtownshire player got a cheap shot in after he touched down and was duly rewarded with a red card.

The finale was 2 more tries from Rory and Kerr to bring up a score of 91-12.

An outstanding display from all concerned - well done and thank you, this was great to watch.

The Veep.

This article was posted on 19-Jan-2009, 20:22 by Hugh Barrow.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching