Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Doncaster 21 - Plymouth Albion 3
Your News Doncaster 21 - Plymouth Albion 3

A much improved second half performance by Doncaster Knights gave them a 21 points to 3 victory over fellow National Division One side Plymouth Albion at Castle Park. The intensity of both sides defences in a very clean yet physical game ended with both sides losing a player with a serious injury with the Knights losing scrum half Jamie Albinson with a knee injury and Plymouth replacement centre with a dislocated shoulder.

For this 4th round EDF National Trophy match, Doncaster Knights Director of Rugby stuck with most of the side that he had picked for the league match away against Newbury which had been postponed the previous weekend. This meant that a number of his regulars started on the bench which gave him some formidable cover.

Plymouth played with the wind in the first half and went ahead after only 2 minutes with a penalty by former Scottish international fly half Ross Laidlaw. The visitors continued to take play to the Knights who for the first quarter hardly got into the game and Plymouth were denied their first try when winger Liam Gibson was ankle tapped only a few yards from the line by Doncaster full back Anthony Carter. Midway through the half the Knights started to gain some momentum but they failed to capitalise on the possession they started to gain by trying to force the game and not building up the pressure. With half-time approaching the Knights were awarded a penalty 20 metres out which fly half Jamie Lennard duly kicked to make the half time score 3 points all.

Whatever was said at half time worked as the Knights immediately went on the attack and went ahead when flanker Simon Grainger crashed over near touch after backs and forwards had combined to pile pressure on the Plymouth defence. The Knights started to click but resolute defence by a spirited Plymouth side kept them out and it took two mammoth penalty kicks from half way by Lennard in the 59th and 60th minutes to extend his sides lead. Shortly afterwards Plymouth tried to attack down their left flank from just inside their own half but Knights centre Stephen McColl took an interception to race 50 metres unopposed for a try which Lennard converted. With the game now virtually over both sides used up most of their replacements and Doncaster defended stoutly as Plymouth attacked throughout the last 5 minutes.

After the Game Howells said that he was satisfied with the result and his sides performance once they got into their stride. Defensively he thought the spirit was excellent and that once they had settled down he felt that his side thoroughly deserved their win.

Doncaster Knights: Carter; Davies W; Armitage (Tongauiha 72); McColl; Wright; Lennard (Warnock 79); Albinson (Hallam 40); Davies T; Jenkins (Boden 51); Tau (Cusack 44); Smith (Kenworthy 79); Griffiths; Afu; Kettle; Grainger (Planchant 70)

Plymouth Albion: Jarvis; Gibson; Hopper; Allen (Fisilau 45 Davies 52); Mensah-Coker; Laidlaw; Nicholls (Newman 75); Black (Du Toit 67); Owen; Hopkins; Lewis; Brenton; Sprangle (Watts-Jones 67); Sean-Michael; Denbee Subs not used Dawe; Thomas

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching