Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > South Woodham Ferrers 37 - Billericay 13
Your News South Woodham Ferrers 37 - Billericay 13

SWF visited local rivals Billericay for their final game of 2008.

Woodham opted to play up the slope and were immediately

penned back with some good driving play by the home teams

larger pack. A well taken penalty by Billericay galvanised a

young Woodham side into action. Woodham started to make

inroads into the home teams half through some excellent handling

between forwards and backs. Several quick rucks allowed the

ball to be passed across the pitch for left winger Kerslake to score

on his opposite wing. 5-3. Billericay responded but were halted by

the centre field defence and some tireless work by the back row.

Although Billericay regained the lead by another penalty,it was

the visitors who looked the more inventive with ball in hand.

Billericay's option to kick with the aid of the slope to an attack

minded Woodham back line soon proved disastrous when the ball

was collected by the pocket battleship Duggan. The wingers decision

to run paid dividends as he pinballed his way through numerous tackles

to score a great individual try. Brown converted 12-6.

Woodham further extended their lead

with well struck penalty after some good forward phases caught the home

team offside. Billericay gave themselves a lifeline just before halftime

when they managed to wheel a scrum on Woodham's line and allow their

number 8 to score from close range.

Half time 15-13.

Turning around with a 2 point lead and the slope SWF knew it was imperative

not to let the home team back in the game. Woodham's makeshift front row

of Dieter Parry and debutant Duncan Grewcock moving to tighthead prop,

managed to put some pressure on a Billericay scrum. A loose pass by the

home teams no8 was seized upon by Woodham's swift scrum half Joe Dukelow.

His kick bounced kindly into his arms and was placed down for a try in all one

movement. Brown converted 22-13. SWF started to take control and from

a quick break from the base of the scrum Captain Mclellan released Dukelow

who linked with Williams. The centre was stopped just short, and the home

team were penalised for killing the ball. Brown duly converted 25-13.

Shortly afterwards due to a serious injury to a Billericay player the game was

moved to an adjacent pitch. (SWF's best wishes go to the young man and hope

he makes a speedy recovery) After the short delay Woodham picked up where

they left off. A pressurised defensive kick on Billericay's line failed to make

touch and was gratefully received by Woodham's commanding fullback Alan

Mathews his perfectly timed pass found replacement winger Jones to score.

Brown's difficult conversion was good 32-13. Billericay rallied and went through

numerous phases but were unable to breach a dominate defence. From one

of these phases a loose pass was pounced upon by 19 year old flanker Lee Guess

on his own 22m line. The impressive no7 broke free and sold an outrageous dummy

to the last defender,with the covering defence closing in he offloaded to Craig Mclellan.

Running out of space the skipper passed back inside to the supporting 19 year old

replacement 2nd row James Wilson to score. Final score 37-13.

A great squad performance which caps off a marvellous year. Well done all!

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching