Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Malvern 32 - Bedford Athletic 0
Your News Malvern 32 - Bedford Athletic 0

Having dumped the holders out of the Intermediate Cup the previous week, Malvern’s young bucks turned their attention to the climb out of the league basement with a resounding victory at Spring Lane. Having survived an early onslaught from the visitors, Malvern showed strength and aggression in the forwards, pushing the Bedford scrum back from the first set piece. They kept the visitors pinned back in their own half but were guilty of some over-elaboration which allowed Bedford’s defence to put in some good cover work. Both sides were guilty of some basic errors in the first quarter, perhaps nervous because of the significance of this match. However, all this changed in the 26th minute as Malvern turned over a Bedford line out and James Hynes rumbled through to open the scoring with two or three defenders clinging haplessly to him. Chris Hooper converted, and the nerves settled, at least for the home supporters and players. As the half went on the Malvern eam grew in stature. Line outs were secure, courtesy of Gareth Taylor and Owen Jones, whilst flankers Martin and Strong effectively snuffed out the dangerous Bedford eight and nine connection, their best players. Meanwhile, the Malvern back line were going through their paces, Tom Beechey just caught short of the line.

The second half saw more of the same from the home side, attacking the away 22 metre area. The bigger Bedford pack tried to maul the ball but were held up and Malvern drove hard for the line, conceding a scrum for a knock on. Another turnover saw James Martin gather and use his power to drive over in the 55th minute and galvanise the crowd. His score also proved to be the opener of the floodgates, as three minutes later Hooper joined the line to put Greg Summers away for a score which the full back converted. With Malvern now dominant in all aspects of the game, it was the turn of Richard Fleming, who used his strength and pace to force his way through to score in the 63rd minute. From the restart, Malvern gathered, went on another drive to the Bedford line and scrum half Jamie Gwynne took the ball from the back of the ruck to go over. A ten minute spell had yielded our killer punches, but the celebrations weren’t yet over. Even the loss of Martin to a yellow card made no difference, and Fleming rounded off the day five minutes from the end as he once again broke Bedford’s defensive line to wrap up proceedings.

Director of Rugby David Robins was a happy man, not just with the first league points but also with the performance. “We have threatened in patches this season and not delivered. Today it came right and we won in style. The whole performance began and ended with the scrum, where we now have a fine platform with a good technical front five and a strong, mobile back row. John Clark had an excellent debut at tight head prop, locking up the scrum and allowing the back row of Martin, Strong and Jones to play. Our line out was excellent and the backs went through their paces well with some great finishing. It was gratifying to have a clean sheet due to some excellent defensive work. We now go to Chester, who will be waiting for us after the Cup upset, but spirits in the squad are high and I know we have more yet to come from these lads – they grow in maturity each week.”

Directions to Chester can be found by following the links on /links.htm

The following week Malvern have drawn Luton at home in the Intermediate Cup. The Bedfordshire side were in National Three last season and currently lie fourth in London Division One. Kick off will be at 2.00pm on 13th December.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching