Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Yarnbury 35 - Moortown 0
Your News Yarnbury 35 - Moortown 0

Bob Hood and his selectors are working hard to acheive improvement in the Horsforth sides consistency and strike power and this game showed all the potential of a young team and it was apparent that Yarnbury in running four senior sides consistently have more resources than their Central Yorkshire neighbours who started the season brightly but are now looking up at Yarnbury who moved confidently into the top half of the Yorks 2 League with this emphatic win.

Centre Ben Horner as Captain had his side fired up for this local derby and all the early pressure came from the home side but a frenetic first 10 minutes saw chances spurned and wrong options taken.Yarnbury defended well in this period with big hits from Ben Horner and Stephen Riley.The latter coming in to link the forward band back play in the absense of regular incumbants.It took 30 minutes which was credit to the Moortown defence before a sweeping move after good ball was secured by flanker Wayne Butterfield and the forwards sucked in the Moortown defence for Mark Dixon at scrum half to release the backs and quick hands from Stephen Riley and centre Jason Avison saw wing Graham Maycock round the defence and score under the posts for Simon Tabb at full back to convert the first of five faultless conversions.The score stayed the same to half time and it was not until the 47th minute that Jason Avison in the centre carved his way through near the posts after excellent work from the forwards with Alex Bowden finding second row Ian Maycock with good line out ball for Mark Dixon ,Stephen Riley and Ben Horner providing the initial quick hands for the try scorer.James has now scored in every game he has started this season and looks a fine centre prospect.

Stephen Riley was doing a sterling job for the home side kicking well when required to relieve the pressure on their line and also carving out breaks when seeing the gaps.It was also worth mentioning that the Moortown Stand Off opposite John Lewis was his usual lively self but was kept in control by the Yarnbury backs.

Yarnbury forwards were always on top in this encounter with excellent line out work from Dave Hunter and Ian Maycock in tandem and the back row of James Barrett and James Daffern coming in for his first start doing the hard work at the breakdown.Elliss Gomersall worked hard for his try on 55 mins on the left wing and used his pace and physique to knock off three defenders to score in the corner.Simon Tabb,unphased with the distance judged the wind correctly to make a magnificent conversion.Jason Avison got a second and could have had a third late on when clear but suffered a deadleg which hampered his run to the line and was stopped short.However by this stage James Barrett at wing forward was rampant running back any Moortown defensive kicks and on the whistle carved out a 50 metre weaving run turning the Moortown Full Back veteran Mark Farrar in the process to score wide out on the right.No problem for Simon Tabb to tag on the extras.

Props Adam Pike and Andy Butterfield performed impressively in the scum and loose and were ably supported by Rich Lister when he came on for the final 30 mins and are working well with Bob Hoods rotation policy.Maybe the bigger more direct Castleford team will provide a sterner test at Horsforth next Saturday?

Yarnbury Hornets 13 Garforth 2nds 14


This rearranged fixture gave the Hornets a run out but they were down to the bare bones with the thirds away at Colne and Manager Phil Wray had to put on his boots for his brother Chris because he was unavoidably detained.Ben Mortimer came in for Phil Davies who went as a first team sub.Garforth were strengthened by the first team not having a game this weekend.

Winger Chris Flowers made and scored the first try from long range beating two players and chipping the full back to gather and score for the opening Yarnbury points.In the meantime prop John Dodgson was sin binned to help the Garforth cause.The Hornets repelled the Garforth forwards early in the second half to relieve the strong pressure but only after Garforth scored a forwards try to take the lead after the first half score.

Phil Wray got over 15 mins from the end but the crucial conversion was missed and despite 10 mins of late pressure the day belonged to the strong Garforth side.

Yarnbury 3rds 27 - Colne and Nelson 5

Yarnbury travelled to an icy cold Colne in a rearranged game which was meant to be a vets vs vets fixture, Yarnbury did not have the best of build ups after arriving 5 minutes late due to a failed Tom Tom and leaving a player at Brownberrie lane. Once the Lancashire all blacks changed into their away kit due to a clash of colours the game kicked off in a style in which both sides knew was going to be a tough encounter.

From the off Colne came at Yarnbury playing some good old school rugby which at times had a few of the young Yarnbury pack struggling, however fantastic defence from Matthew Atkins and John Chapman led to a good turn over which was fed to the backs in which Mark Jackson appeared as now seems to be the norm, who fed mark Fielding, who obliged by rounding 3 players to score in the corner. Unfortuteley the conversion was missed. Yarnbury straight from the restart started playing the attractive rugby they knew they could, which started to create gaps. With hooker Alex Blackburn hitting his jumpers in the line like Eric Bristow to the bullseye it wasn’t long before clean ball led to debutant Jake Perks breaking a tackle to jinx under the posts to score. Mick pound followed with a woeful conversion hitting the upright and firing wide. Half time score 10 – 0.

After the break Colne came back strongly playing to their strengths picking and driving ruck after ruck and it wasn’t long before the towering number 8 crashed over making the scores 10-5. From the restart Colne came back again with the same style but fantastic defence from Matthew Atkins and Alex Blackburn led Colne to spill the ball and Winger Alex Clark to pounce and dart over from 50 yards, once again the conversion was wasted.

By now Colne were tiring and this showed as the yarnbury backs began to spin it wide and utilising their pace, Rob pound broke the defence but was miraculously tackled by a centre who must have been at least double the oldest players age! However yarnbury cleared out and scrum half Chris Grose put the backs in who played a lovely move putting Alex Clark over in the Corner. Number8 Ben Carey added the extras from the touchline.

The game now was won but this did leave time for a fine try by veteran club stalwart Mick Pound, who caught the ball in the oppositions half flung an audacious dummy and limped over from 40 yards to score the final points.

A good performance from the Yarnbury lads against a good old team, special mention to Michelle pound who thankfully was on hand to provide Mick pound with his inhaler after he had scored.

Vets 0 - Knutsford 5

This week Yarnbury entertained a new adversary in the shape of Knutsford Vets. The Cheshire club have only been formed for 5 yrs apparently boasted a sprinkling of ex-internationals in yesterdays the vets side. Knutsford started very strongly with their greater size paying dividends in the forward exchanges. An early try after good work by the visitors looked like it may be the opening of the floodgates. The try was actually held up by the young Morisini which was confirmed by the visiting Garforth team who were walking past the dead ball area on their way to play the Hornets. But the try was given, the conversion unsuccessful.

A real battle ensued on the freezing bright afternoon with Knutsford having the lion’s share of possession. But despite this the Yarnbury boys snuffed out everything that came their way. The game went to and fro with neither side gaining the upper hand.

At half time the home side had the advantage of the strong biting wind and Hargreaves pinned the opposition back with good penetrating kicks out of hand. But the last move always seemed to go wrong and relieved the pressure on Knutsford’s line. The second half hung in the balance and having been on the wrong end a bit of physical punishment in the first half Yarnbury administered a bit of their own’ rough justice’ and decided enough was enough. Unfortunately an incident between Mercer and a slender teenage boy from Knutsford caused the ref to pull both skippers and ask them to calm things down. Once again Neil ’gonzo ’Pennington sustained his weekly life threatening injury, but managed to play on. Bob Ford and his forward battled to the end and Hall revelled in his sustained torment of the big South African No 8.

All in all a well matched game against good, strong and skilful opponents and hopefully the start of an annual fixture between the sides.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching