Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Millwall 32 - May & Baker 0
Your News Millwall 32 - May & Baker 0

MILLWALL Rugby Club remain undefeated in Essex Division Two after a crushing victory over east London rivals May and Baker on Saturday (Nov 15).

The Isle of Dogs team travelled away to Dagenham where they overcame an older and heavier pack to dominate the match, running out winners by a comprehensive 32 points to nil.

Their opponents were previously undefeated on home soil this season and Millwall's runaway victory takes them one step closer to their target of promotion after taking seven wins from seven league matches.

"That was a good showing by our lads," said Millwall coach Dave Leftley after the game. "There is still a lot we could do better, like communicating at the breakdown, but that performance wasn't bad. There is a long way to go and we are going to work doubly hard to make sure we get to where we want to be from now until the end of the season."

Saturday's encounter proved physical from the outset, with dump tackles being inflicted on May and Baker's hapless backline by stand-in fly half Dan Lawrence and Millwall's abrasive centre Louis Newton on his return from injury.

The opening ten minutes saw both teams launch atacking salvos in their opponent's 22 without scoring. The tense atmosphere broke only after a flowing Millwall attack involving both forwards and backs which ended with number eight Gerrie van Eeden touching down in the right corner.

Minutes later Millwall centre Tan Parsons stepped his tackler on the May and Baker 22 yard line and dashed for the line. He was hauled down less than five yards short of the tryline but, unheld by his tackler, he scrambled free to touch down under the posts. This was followed by a stylish and sweeping backline move which led to Parsons outpacing the covering defence to grab his second try of the match in the lefthand corner.

The home side came back strongly and only a heroic tryline defence by Millwall's forwards kept them from scoring before the halftime whistle.

After the break Millwall pushed home their advantage in having a younger and more mobile pack and centre Newton began to seriously outmuscle the May and Baker backs, launching some heavy hand-offs and breaking several tackles to set up a try for Lawrence.

Lightning winger Naz Mohammed was next to open his scoring account for the afternoon, taking advantage of quick ruck ball to scoot around the fringes and score in the right corner. With his team in the ascendency coach Leftley rang the changes and replacement scrum half Olly Lowis scored with his first touch of the ball, following up a break from man of the match flanker Drew Benjamin.

Speaking after the game, Millwall's Tan Parsons said: "May and Baker have a few biggish lads and they chucked a couple of banana skins our way in the scrums. But we kept the ball alive and were faster to the breakdown which made all the difference in the end. To keep them from scoring throughout was a testament to the commitment of our side and we owe much of our success today to our pack. But once we get the ball out wide that's when the party really begins."

On Saturday (Nov 22) Millwall take on Ilford in the Essex President's Shield competition.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching