Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > GHK win City Derby
Your News GHK win City Derby

Glasgow Accies v- GHK 14th September 2013

Saturday saw the resumption of hostilities in one of the oldest rivalries in sport, especially Glasgow sport, as GHK made the trip across the fence to take on Glasgow Accies. Never mind Frazier/Ali, Liverpool/ManU, Celtic/Rangers, even Greggs/Subway, nothing really compares to an Accies/GHK battle.

Right on cue, the thirty plus players that took the field at New Anniesland today continued the tradition of great rugby and a nail biting finish that had supporters of both sides on the edge of their seats/shooting sticks pretty well right up to the death. In the event it was GHK that triumphed, but it was indeed a very close run thing and for long periods the outcome was tantalisingly in the balance.

It was GHK got proceedings underway and their hosts were immediately in to their stride with some sharp moves and crisp handling asking early questions of GHK. The visitors were very much switched on and kept Accies in their own half due to some powerful tackling and disciplined defensive structures. Accies were dealt a major blow when, after nine minutes, blind side wing forward and captain Andy Jackson stayed down after a heavy tackle, and had to leave the field. This looked as though it might be a major disruption to the Accies.

GHK spurned the first opportunity to get the score board moving as Davie Reed was wide with a penalty attempt. Nevertheless, the visitors were keeping Accies pinned deep in their territory and after a series of set scrums, in which GHK seemed able to ratchet up the pressure, Mikey Aird scuttled over for a try and Davie Reed added the conversion giving GHK a seven point lead after fourteen minutes.

From the restart, GHK were able to move the action back in to the Accies danger zone and it was no great surprise when try number two was added by Adam Johnston after a period of sustained pressure deep in the Accies twenty two. This time the conversion was just off line, but twelve nil to GHK was fair reward for their early dominance. However, as the game crept in to the second quarter, the hosts got themselves very much back in to proceedings as, with possession tidily obtained from a line out on the right, their centre cut through a struggling GHK defence and touched down in a position that made the conversion almost a formality. The chance was taken and GHKs lead cut back to 12-7 after twenty four minutes.

The game was being keenly contested at all levels and both sides were trying to play expansive rugby. It was however GHK that benefited from the pressure that they were exerting, particularly at the breakdown and tackle areas, and it was the home side that were beginning to give away multiple penalties. Davie Reed added two penalty goals, stretching the lead to 18-7 in favour of the visitors from OA. A few minutes before the break things got worse for Accies as tight head Elliot McLaren was yellow carded for one too many infringements on the ground. To rub salt in to the Academical wounds, Davie Reed added three more points to make the half time score 21-7 in favour of GHK.

The home side probably had the advantage of the wind in the second half, but whatever it was they very quickly got themselves in to GHK territory and a converted try was their reward for some smart play that cut through some less than incisive GHK defensive tackling. In a few brief moments the game seemed to have swung in Accies favour. Their hard working forwards and confident backs gave off an air of belief that they had the beating of their visitors. Barely ten minutes in to the second half the gap was closed to three points as another converted try was given up by GHK after some hesitant defence.

The next period of the game saw Accies trying to push home their advantage and GHK, for their part, digging deep to keep their lively opponents at bay. Sometimes, it has to be said, GHK did look a bit desperate in defence, however they stuck to it. The home side was dealt a major blow as tight head McLaren was yellow carded for a second time, on this occasion for a trip, and the inevitable red card followed. Somehow Accies kept it going and the threat to the visitors was always there. However, you sensed that GHK were not finished as an attacking force. Having pushed a penalty at goal wide, Davie Reed struck a further penalty award deep in to the Accies twenty two rather than look for the three points. From their own line out throw, Captain Pete Ritchie took a clean catch and strode through for the clinching score of the match. Not only had he secured the result, he had denied Accies a losing bonus point that they probably deserved. It would be fair to say that there was a sense of relief on the part of the travelling support when that score was recorded but it was, after a long toe to toe battle, job done.

Speaking of recording, it is normal for GHK to film their fixtures so as to allow post match analysis and replaying of key moments in the game. Todays directorial duties were undertaken by our very own apprentice Speilberg, Gourley R. We await with interest the final cut and look forward to reliving the key moments courtesy of the past presidents camera work. If it is not rallying team talks it is cutting edge camera craft (once he had wrestled with the tripod). We are indeed in his debt.

This was a very satisfying win for GHK against a highly skilled Accies side that showed a cutting edge that will do for most teams. Today GHK just held on and were able to close the game out. However they were run very close indeed by their hosts. The return fixture at OA in December is already one not to be missed. The fact that it is due to be played on the same day as the legendary GHK Christmas lunch should make December 7 a must do date in your diary.

GHK men of the match Mike Aird and the uniquely stylish Paul Polson

Result - Glasgow Accies 21 GHK 29

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching