Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Deepings 6 - Rugby St Andrews 3
Your News Deepings 6 - Rugby St Andrews 3

With an injury list as long and Peter Bradleys arm, and a couple of weeks of uncharacteristic performances, a mid-week MOT had prepared the Green Machine for a visit from Rugby St Andrews.

As had happened last week against Peterborough Lions, Deepings started strong, pegging the visitors into their own half, but the pressure this week was sustained. Deepings were unfortunate not to put an early score on the board after some flowing link play down the wing. However damp conditions meant that this was not going to be the first move of the game to end in a handling error.

With backs built more for defending than attacking, Rugby St Andrews were happy to soak up the Deepings pressure. Unable to get their hands on the ball fairly the visitors opted to take the law into their own hands, resulting in a penalty in front of posts. Stepping up was the reliable Nick Dobie to convert from 30 yards out.

In the absence of Deepings defensive machine, Michael Wainwright everyone stepped up their game and put a much effort into defence as they did in to attack. This was crucial as the visitors upped the game in the final ten minutes of the first half, stretching the Deepings defence but unable to find a way through. Some slow movement in the tackle area meant that the visitors were gifted a penalty; with only minutes remaining the signal was for posts. Half time 03-03.

With the scores on the doors standing at 03-03 Deepings knew that a result would need to be ground out. Brimming with confidence and determination the Green Machine started the second half stronger and much more alive than normally seen and they were soon rewarded for this with another penalty, again Nick Dobie converted.

With 10 minutes left on the clock the visitors sent a huge 60 metre kick down into the Deepings 22. From the resulting lineout the visitors gained hold of the ball and proceeded to attack the Deepings line. Deepings stood strong; with every tackle made pushing the visitors back a yard at a time. The pressure defence reaped its reward when turnover ball allowed Deepings to clear their lines and progress over the half way line. From then on Deepings closed the game down, playing the ball tight and at their own pace. Final score 06-03.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching