Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Injury hit Malvern to replay Broadstreet fixture
Your News Injury hit Malvern to replay Broadstreet fixture

Malvern 10 Broad Street 56

Malverns season, already beset by a mounting injury toll, took another serious hit last Saturday as they lost two props by half time, meaning that the game went to uncontested scrums. According to RFU regulations, it would appear that, as this happened just after the half time break with both sides in contention, the match is treated as abandoned and will have to be replayed. The day had started well, at least off the pitch, as a good sized gathering met for a lunch in aid of Help the Heroes, garnering several hundred pounds for this worthy cause.

On the field, third placed Broad Street, always represented by a big and mobile pack, put Malvern under some pressure from the off. Stand-off Dan Richards, the top kicker in the league, showed exactly why after only two minutes, sitting back deep in the pocket to land a dropped goal. Simon Daws was taken out by a cynical high tackle to the throat, for some reason only punished by a penalty by the young referee, and then insult was added to injury when he was then shown a straight red card in the eighth minute. The referee adjudged that he was guilty of stamping, when even the Broad Street players agreed that all he was doing was clearing a player who was lying in the ruck. To lose a player so early was always going to put Malvern under the cosh, and the Coventry side immediately went further ahead when Richards chased through to score and convert. He then added a penalty off the post to leave the visitors thirteen points to the good after only 15 minutes. Malvern showed enormous spirit as they were continuously forced to defend their lines. The referee, meanwhile, failed to spot several off-the ball pieces of skulduggery which potentially added to Malverns injury woes. Dan Batten finally had to leave the field with a back injury and Joe Ling also collected a head wound as Broad Street were awarded a penalty try just before the half-time whistle.

With only one prop available to Malvern, scrums were now uncontested. Malvern started the half brightly and Greg Summers ran in a fine try from 35 metres out to open the Spring Lane sides account. It then became apparent that neither injured prop was fit to return to the fray. At this juncture Broad Street werent making the extra man count, and Malvern put together some good moves, the ball being whipped out to Summers, who put Tom Beechey away for a good score. However, as the game went on the Warwickshire men slowly made their superior numbers pay and ran in six tries as Malvern struggled to cope in their stretched defence.

With the result now academic, it is to be hoped that Malvern see some of the injured players able to recover for this weeks fixture at Hinckley, scene of some epic struggles in the past 10 years.

Malverns Director of Rugby, David Robins, was unhappy with the red card for Daws. Unfortunately the game is now seeing some inexperienced referees, who havent themselves played at particularly high levels, being fast-tracked through the system. They often arent able to distinguish between some of the more technical areas at the ruck, which I feel is what caused the problem today. When you then look at the injuries we have picked up over the last few weeks, it seems that we are having no luck at all. Despite that, the lads are still showing good spirit and are turning up with the right attitude at training. For such a young squad they are showing increasing maturity week on week and we must keep faith in them.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching