Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Marlow 32 - Swanage & Wareham 17
Your News Marlow 32 - Swanage & Wareham 17

Swanage & Wareham finished their league season with a journey to Marlow, who were comfortably placed in the middle of the table, but they needed a win to make them safe from relegation

It was not a good start for Swans, as after only two minutes, from a line out on the visitors 22 metres line a Marlow centre broke through Swans defence to score in the corner. Swans were on the defensive early in the first half, but after thirteen minutes, Swans kicked clear to the Marlow three-quarters, It was passed out to a winger, who chipped over the Swans defence, won the race to the ball and went in for a converted try(12pts nil). At last Swans came into the game and put in a lot of phases in the Marlow 22, but could not put points on the board for all of their efforts. However four minutes from the interval, from a scrum the ball was worked back to Swans centre Darren Wilcox, who burst through the Marlow defence to score Swans first try of the match. Half time Marlow 12pts Swans 5 pts.

From the kick off, Swans held on to the ball and Marlow fly half landed the penalty goal to put Marlow ten points clear. From then Swans were controlling much of the play, putting the home side under considerable pressure, and it was from a penalty to the corner that a catch/drive move by Swans forwards had skipper and hooker Robert Elford touching down. Fly half Jake Warren added the extras(15pts 12pts). However from the restart Swans were penalised and Marlow added a second penalty goal to increase their lead.

Swans continued to have the territorial advantage and it was only a matter of time before Marlow let in another try, which came in the 65th minutes, once again from a catch/drive move with Robert Elford scoring his second try. (18pts 17 pts). At this point Swans were looking to upset the hosts, and seemed to continue to have the upper hand. However with only three minutes to go, a sliced kick went into the hands of one of the Marlow three-quarters, who broke through Swans defence to score a converted try giving the hosts a 25- 17 lead. It did not end there, as from a penalty to the corner, following the line out and a couple of phases Marlow scored out wide which was converted to give Marlow a bonus point win, leaving Swans, High Wycombe and Bletchley relegated from Southwest 1(East)

Swans team:- P.Dunsford, C.Rowberry, S.Smyth, D.Wilcox, A.Jones, J.Warren(Collins 61), C.Tomes, N.Audley, R.Elford, O.Andrews(J.Scott 49), D.Burgess, D.Collins(D.Penney 49), W.Corsie, K.Jones, D.Wright


Bournemouth 3rd XV 8pts Swanage & Wareham 3rd XV 35pts

Sat 20th April saw Swanage & Wareham 3rd XV take on Bournemouth 3rd XV in the final of the Dorset & Wilts 3rd XV Shield at Poole RFC.

On a lovely sunny afternoon, Swans had the advantage of the light breeze behind them in the first half and from the first whistle put pressure on Bournemouth. Eventually this pressure paid off when Swans were awarded a kickable penalty, duly converted by fly half Dom Smith.

However, this score led to Bournemouth raising their game and soon they had their own chance of a kickable penalty, converted by Chris Mack- 3 all.

Swans however were soon back putting pressure on the Bournemouth line and after a period of sustained pressure, Aaron Barnes went over for the first try of the afternoon. The conversion was missed. Swans continued being camped in the Bournemouth half and this lead to another try this time from fly half Dom Smith, who added the conversion- 15-3 to Swans. Another Swans penalty moved the score out to 18-3.

By now Swans were starting to dominate the game and this lead to 2 further unconverted tries before half time from wing forward Jack Hogg and winger Joe Smart. To leave the half time score 28-3 to Swans.

After the break the pace of the game didnt slow but Bournemouth came out fighting and after being camped on the Swans line they were rewarded with a try to close the gap to 28-8. As the half progressed however, the warmth of the afternoon as well as the early pace meant the scoring chances became few and far between, with stout defence from both sides stopping any breaks which did occur. There was one last try in the game and that went to Swans, scored again by fly half Dom Smith, who added the conversation to leave the final score 35-8 to Swans.

Credit should go to both sides who battled hard all afternoon.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching