Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Blaydon 36 - Wharfedale 31
Your News Blaydon 36 - Wharfedale 31

In the end Blaydon got the result they badly needed after two defeats on the road, but in a game that had everything including 4 yellow cards and a red the visitors hit back time and time again and it was perilously close in the dying seconds.

Acknowledging how tight it was Director of Rugby Micky Ward said "It was nice to get back on track but we knew what they were like (from the away game), Wharfedale are a tough side who would never lie down".

Andrew Baggett grabbed the first of Blaydon's six tries from a 12th minute tap penalty move after Richard Rhodes had been sin-binned, and ten minutes later as the Wharfedale flanker was coming back on he crossed with Adam Howard who had been carded for a high tackle, and later was to receive a straight red for punching.

Blaydon endeavoured to benefit from the 20 minute advantage but only succeeded in handing an interception pass to Wharfedale fly-half Tom Barrett who raced the length of the field to score against the run of play. By the interval Jason Smithson had secured a typical No8 try and although it was only an eight point lead the omens were good.

Jordi Pasqualin,an on loan scrum-half from Newcastle Falcons, nipped in to score early in the second period and then a penalty try was well earned when Wharfedale persistanly offended and pulled down a scrum near their own line.

The lead which had been extended to sixteen points was just as quickly back to two following a brace of tries from visiting hooker Steve Graham and the game again in the balance. Back it went to the other end however for Tom Banks to finish off when Sam Hanks had broken through and when Chris Wearmouth touched down from a driving maul Blaydon could breathe more easily with ten minutes remaining.

Referee Phil Davies then produced his red card for Howard to stretch the odds on a Blaydon win but within five minutes had also yellow carded Gavin Jones and Wearmouth to lift Wharfedale hopes and a 79th minute try by Tom Wareing had nerves jangling until the whistle.

John Brennan

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching