Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Hornets come out on top in hard fought encounter
Your News Hornets come out on top in hard fought encounter

Hornet's U11 team travelled to Truro on Sunday with a much depleted squad providing just enough players to make up a team. Truro on the other hand fielded a large squad which allowed them to rotate players at will throughout the four ten minute periods of play. Truro took the initiative early on, quicker to ruck the ball and dominating Newquay in the scrums. They were justly rewarded for their efforts , two converted tries seeing them take a 14-0 lead before a penalty to Newquay saw Ewan Gilroy -Simpson pull one back to keep Newquay in touch at the end of the first period of play. They managed to go level when Evie Longworth took the ball as Newquay attacked, switching the direction of play she cut past the despairing grasps of several Truro players and with the forwards lending their weight drove over to score. Thereafter began a period of sustained Truro pressure and despite some excellent defence from the Hornets they went back in front. They pressed forward again from the kick off but two penalties in quick succession saw Newquay able to break out of their own half and gain ground through the middle. Ewan made another characteristic strong run before being brought down on the right, Ethan Morgan quickly switched play to the left hand side with Ethan Reed on hand to take the ball and force his way over for the try. Despite this Truro continued to look the most likely to come out on top. In the third period of play they applied sustained pressure, moving the ball well amongst the backs they scored once again to go 26 -21 in front. With some motivational words ringing in their ears the Hornets picked up the game in the fourth quarter. As they forced Truro back Perran Heaman was unlucky not to score as he was held up after crossing the try line. But the Hornets stuck to the task and deep in Truro territory they were to win a scrum on the left with Ben Hunt picking up the ball and powering through on the left hand side to level the score. Once again Ethan Morgan's kicking skills proved vital his conversion nudging Newquay in front to take the game 28 -26 as it came to a close. Man of the Match: Ewan Gilroy-Simpson.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching