Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Amersham & Chiltern 19 - Malvern 8
Your News Amersham & Chiltern 19 - Malvern 8

The old clich of a game of two halves was never more evident than in Buckinghamshire on Saturday. The home side played the first 40 with the slope and a blustery wind at their backs, but it was Malvern that started in more impressive form. A series of drives by the pack took Malvern deep into home territory, the forwards displaying excellent retention skills to put the home side on the back foot. However, when the backs tried to pass the ball wide the gusting wind blew it off course and Amersham were able to take possession. Following a tap penalty their big pack drove to the Malvern line and giant prop Mamaia went over to score a 16th minute try and Hughes converted for a lead against the run of play. For the next 20 minutes it was all Malvern as the forwards again played a controlled game, keeping possession and getting close to the home line, but that crucial score eluded them. Malvern conceded a penalty and the relieved Amersham side took the pressure off with a kick to the visiting 22 metre line. Malvern offended again, a catch and drive move took Amersham to the line and number 8 Henderson went over to put the hosts 12-0 up, which it stayed at until the break. Malvern lost Luke Milton and Ryan Henshaw as the injury hoodoo continued to plague the Spring Lane outfit.

The second half gave Malvern wind and slope advantage and they made it count within 3 minutes of the restart, piling into the home defence and releasing the ball for George Kitching to speed in for a fine try. Again it was all Malvern and the home side hardly got out of their own half even when in possession, with the visitors tackling like demons to nullify any moves. On the hour mark the inevitable penalty came and Adam Dixon brought the score back to 12-8, with Malvern looking good for the first win on the road of the season. However, two clear cut try scoring chances went begging as chilled hands failed to hold the ball in the icy wind, and Ieuan Mustow was desperately unlucky as a pass went behind him and he just failed to recover it. Amersham then woke up to the fact that they needed to keep the ball for the last 10 minutes, and their boys did just that, inching their way upfield with the ball up the jumper for Edwards to secure the home victory in the dying minutes.

The sporting Amersham support conceded that the better side lost on the day, but in reality it was the lack of clinical finishing that meant Malvern left empty handed.

New head coach Mick Tisdale was still heartened by much that he saw, admitting there was still work to be done and a couple of positions to be strengthened. New young prop Jack Cosgrove played a solid game, as did all the pack against an Amersham eight which was considerably heavier, whilst the backs, perhaps ignoring the conditions a little, still impressed with their willingness to run the ball.

This Saturday at 2.15pm sees Malvern entertain Avonmouth Old Boys, who are only one position behind and in the relegation zone. Whilst they only clocked up their first win against Maidenhead this week, they have run some of the top sides close, so Malvern will have to be on top form as they begin the attempt to climb up the table.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching