Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Hornets no push over in Land Rover
Your News Hornets no push over in Land Rover

Newquay Hornets U11's travelled to Exeter on Sunday to take part in the Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup. A competition now in its fifth year, this was the first time the Hornets had taken part. With sixteen teams from across Devon and Cornwall it was a real opportunity for the boys to measure themselves against the best in the West. Drawn against Sidmouth , Topsham and Newton Abbot the pool games consisted of just seven minutes each way with a two minute half time so the Hornets couldn't afford to be slow out of the starting blocks. Taking on Newton Abbot in their first game Newquay showed they were more than capable of matching one of the pre-competition favourites. Ethan Morgan displayed good hands to hold on to a looping pass from Jack Higginson as Jack was brought down following an impressive power run through the middle. Going over to score, Ethan was to double his tally moments later. Ethan Reed forged up the right hand side before being brought down, Newquay taking the ball from the the resulting ruck and feeding the ball quickly out to the left for the second try. Newton Abbot fought back and following up on a kick out from defence they went through to pull one back. The game was carefuly balanced but Newquay's stoic defending saw them take the first game 10-5. Topsham provided less of a test. Ethan Morgan opened Newquay's before Ethan Reed showed his customary strength to force his way over. Ben Hunt had another outstanding outing at scrum half, picking the ball up from a ruck in the middle of the pitch before running round the right hand side to put in a fleet footed Finn Collins at the corner. Topsham pulled one back but never really threatened as further scores from Ethan Reed and Arthur Bygrave sealed an impressive win 25-5. Facing Sidmouth in the last of the pool games a draw or better was required to see the Hornets progress to the semi-finals. A well worked penalty saw Ben Hunt put the Hornets in front but Newquay were caught napping at the restart as Sidmouth ran through to level the scores. Newquay displayed their customary grit and determination and a real team effort saw them stand fast to close out the game for a 5-5 draw. Progressing to the semi-finals, the only Cornish side to do so, they faced a big and aggressive Plymstock side. They fought well but eventually were beaten 10-0. However, there was no disgrace in losing to the side that went on to win the competition and they can be justifiably very proud of what they achieved.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching