Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Sevenoaks battle for a draw
Your News Sevenoaks battle for a draw

Sevenoaks: 10

Hove: 10

IT MIGHT not have been the result they had been hoping for, but Sevenoaks first XV will be particularly pleased with the resilience shown to fight back in the face of a half-time deficit on Saturday.

On a bright and breezy day at Knole Paddock, Oaks were hoping to gain their fourth win of the season against Hove, but it was the latter who started the better of the two sides, making good use of the best set of backs to have played Sevenoaks in the league thus far.

And it didn’t take long for the opposition to open the scoring with a beautiful try, the ball was worked through half of the Hove team before they went over beneath the posts, 7-0.

As the first half wore on, Sevenoaks continued to give away the ball through poor lineouts, being turned over in the scrum, and a string of basic handling errors and they found out to their cost that attempting to win a game of rugby without any possession is somewhat tricky.

Sevenoaks spent most of the first half defending their line, and notifiably some heroic tackling from Wessel Booysen, as well as man of the match George Roffey, kept the Hove team from scoring another try.

They did, however, pick up a penalty taking the score to 10-0. A missed kick from Booysen in front of the posts meant that the score remained the same at half-time – a score which complimented Sevenoaks.

Oaks’ coaching team gave their side a dressing down at half-time, reiterating the importance of having self-belief and this seemed to pay dividends

Gradually, Sevenoaks began to get into the game and upped the tempo accordingly. Oaks are typically a side that plays better with confidence and strong running from Kenny Pihema and James Stewart helped create the belief they had been lacking in the first period.

A penalty from Booysen made the score 10-3 and the crowd then began to make some noise, which had a noticeable effect on the pitch. Spectators were treated to some exciting end-to-end rugby and a huge cheer went up as Oaks scored with 10 minutes to go, Booysen converting a pressure kick to level the scores at 10-10.

A kick with three minutes to go on the opposition 10m line would have won the game but it drifted just wide and the scores remained the same, which, after the first half, was pleasing for Sevenoaks.

Oaks skipper Tim Golds, who was watching from the sidelines due to the abdominal injury that he suffered in pre-season, was not exactly buoyant after the match but reflected on a job well done.

“It was not the prettiest match to watch and we did not play great rugby,” he said. “But what we did show was a hell of a lot of character to turn that game around. We picked ourselves up and we will take the belief that we showed in the second half down to Lewes next weekend.”

Oaks have two games in a row against sides below them in the league and they must capitalise as soon as possible if they are to bounce back from a string of close encounters. The match away to Lewes kicks off at 3pm.

Ed Pearson & Tim Golds

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching