Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Malvern 10 - Weston Super Mare 37
Your News Malvern 10 - Weston Super Mare 37

Malvern hosted early season leaders Weston for their first visit to Spring Lane. The big Weston pack put in some early pressure, Malverns defence holding up well in the middle of the park. However, when a Weston penalty fell short of the line, a Malvern knock on when gathering the ball gave the visitors a scrum, the ball was moved quickly away from the Malvern defence for winger Matt Watkins to open the scoring in the 14th minute. From the restart, Malvern made inroads into Weston territory and at a scrum James Southall snaffled the ball from the fingertips of his opposing scrum half to get into the 22 metre area. Slick handling sent the ball to nick Miller, who broke through a neck high attempted tackle to score on the burst, setting up a Tom Longley conversion. Weston secured the ball after a poor restart saw Malvern fail to gain possession and their pack put in a driving maul, releasing the ball for winger James Arnold to score. With Malvern seemingly conspiring to make life hard for themselves, a poor clearance kick failed to find touch, Weston ran the ball back and flanker Paul Morrisey was on hand to score just before the half hour mark. The much heavier Weston pack continued to test the Malvern eight, but some excellent work by the home defence kept the score to 7-15 until the half time whistle.

Malvern started the second half with purpose, putting in a huge drive into the Weston 22 metre area and winning a penalty which Longley despatched to narrow the gap to five points. As the Somerset sides big men started to show signs of flagging as the fast pace of the game continued, Malverns hopes of clawing a way back seemed to rise. However, hopes were dashed when Weston took a scrum against the head and as they set up a scoring move for Watkins, a terrible injury resulted in a double fracture of the fibula for Malverns Owen Jones. The game was stopped for half an hour whilst the paramedic and ambulance team attended, and on the restart the Weston forwards had made the most of the rest, setting up their backs for three tries in the last ten minutes.

Whilst the league leaders were worth the win overall, the score line was slightly flattering and Malverns Director of Rugby Liam Hughes was confident that, with some work on decision making and the return of some more of the many injured squad members, that his side can start making a mark in the still-new environs of South West rugby. So far we havent met anyone as strong as the top two Midlands teams from last year, and having competed well against three of the top 5 so far, I think we can hold our own. said Hughes.

Malvern travel to Newton Abbott, another of the Devon sides to show up well in the first month of the season, before hosting Old Patesians in what is the nearest to a local derby at Spring Lane on 6th October .

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching