Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Seghill Juniors lose out to Blyth
Your News Seghill Juniors lose out to Blyth

Seghill 5 Blyth 12

Female referee, Lizzie Butler, from Newcastle University, took charge of the local derby at Welfare Park on Sunday, when Seghill Juniors took on arch rivals, Blyth.

Typical of all derby games, this is fixture is always a fiercely contested and very physical contest, and today's match was no exception.

Seghill were able to bring back several key players, Dean McPhee, Carl Brown and Craig Embleton, who has been absent on refereeing duty. Despite their welcome return, the Seghill squad had been unable to train together as a team, though this didn't show as the home side dominated early possession.

Referee Butler was forced to talk sternly to both teams, as punches flew, and Seghill had to replace Stephen Gluck, when he received a kick to the head.

After 20 minutes, Blyth kicked up field. Nick Heard picked up the ball close to his on try line, and produce a superb run, almost the length of the pitch, before unselfishly passing the ball to Liam Lonsdale, who was taken down by a high tackle. The referee played the advantage when Seghill captain, Craig Smith collected the ball released by Lonsdale, to go over for a try in the corner. Lonsdale was unable to continue, though he did return in the second half.

In the blustery conditions, Matthew Sherman was unlucky not to add the conversion, when his kick shaved the wrong side of the post.

From then on, possession was fairly equally shared, with neither side able to penetrate the opposition defence, until just before half time, when man of the match John Peace broke away down the wing. Only a fine, last ditch tackle, by the Blyth full back prevented Peace from adding a second try.

Blyth were fired up after the restart, and their size advantage became to produce rewards, finally producing the equalising try. Seghill then replaced scrum half, Smith, after he replaced a blow to the head. From then on, it looked like the match was heading for a draw, with both sides defending well, but then a poor pass, and a mis-kick by Brown, saw Blyth scramble a second try, and successfully add the conversion.

In the dying moments, Seghill surged forward, Craig Embleton almost breaking through. As Seghill pressure mounted, Blyth were defending on their own try line. But time was against Seghill, and Blyth held firm to secure a 12-5 victory.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching