Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Alresford 12 - Verwood 12
Your News Alresford 12 - Verwood 12

After the first scrum it looked like Verwood were going to be in for a very long afternoon. The enormous Alresford pack were driving the Verwood eight and putting great pressure on the scrum half and making it very difficult for Verwood to get their three quarters moving but excellent defence kept the home side at bay.

On the half hour Verwood’s defence was breached after they failed to tidy up their own lineout and knocked forward. The resulting five metre scrum saw the Alresford pack drive Verwood backwards and the number eight pick up to score in the corner 5-0.

Many on the touchline thought this would be the way of the match, but Verwood these days are made of sterner stuff and from the kick off Verwood’s much more mobile forwards tore into Alresford and despite going up hill secured most of the loose ball.

Scrum half and captain Dan Moore, who was having a quiet game by his standards, picked up the ball from a ruck and popped a lovely inside pass to Charlie Cockram who made a great run from just inside his own half to score in the corner..

Verwood continued to dominate the rest of the first half and were very unfortunate not to score again and only some first class tackling from the home side’s full back denied Cockram his second try of the half. 5-5 at halftime.

The second half started as the first had ended with Verwood pressurising the home side and it looked only a question of time before they scored This was not to be the case and Alresford scored the try of the match after some sloppy play again at the lineout enabled them to secure the ball and drive it up field with some excellent inter play between the forwards saw them move the ball from right to left to score under the posts. The conversion was successful 12-5.

David Coy made his debut for Verwood as a substitute halfway through the second half and did very well at full back.

Verwood would not lie down and continued to apply the pressure and even a disallowed try did not deter them and they were rewarded ten minutes from time after winning five rucks in a row. Moore moved the ball to Jensen who crashed over. Moore converted 12-12.

Verwood continued to pressure the home side but the very enjoyable game ended in a draw .

Join us on Saturday 1st November at 2.00 at Potterne Park for the next league game against Locksheath (formerly Paxton) Pumas.

Man of the Match: Charlie Cockram - excellent in attack and defence.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching