Username Password
Chat about Rugby in our Forum
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Weymouth 20 - Westbury 5
Your News Weymouth 20 - Westbury 5

Barry Ross Mackenzies young charges are coming of age, but the Weymouth coach will have some hard work to do if the Seasiders are to win promotion into the Southern Counties division this season.

With the Seasiders leading by 20 points to nil at the break and appeared to be cruising to an easy victory, but the second half degenerated into a scrappy affair with the players frustrations building up.

The contest boiled over in the final quarter and twice the referee had to issue warnings, but he retained control throughout and just about all the spectators of both camps breathed a sigh of relief and headed to the bar when the final whistle echoed around the ground.

The Dorset and Wilts. County President Ron Jones travelled down from Wiltshire to show the flag at Monmouth Avenue and in the first period Weymouth did their best to entertain him taking an early lead through birthday boy, winger Ryan Lewenden celebrating his 18th year on this planet with a penalty goal.

Minutes later and a break by home left wing Ian McChonniche took him to within a few meters of the visitors line before he was held up, however he managed to slip the ball to his skipper number 8 Tony Worle who powered over for a try with Lewenden stroking over the conversion to make the score 10 points to nil to Weymouth.

More home pressure led to the Seasiders winning possession at a scrum just short of the Westbury line, firstly Worle has a go at powering over, but he was held up short, however he worked the ball to flanker Paul Harding who crashed over for a try.

With half time beckoning fly half Tim Peplow weaved his way through the visitors first line of cover before moving the ball to centre Will Hughes who grabbed the limelight bursting clear to touchdown for a try to make the score Weymouth 20 points Westbury nil at the break.

Weymouth squandered another opportunity early in the second half, but spilled the ball over the Westbury line and the visitors cleared.

Turning over possession on half way the Seasiders could do nothing to prevent winger Matt Inseal from springing 50 meters to ground the ball for consolation try.

For the remainder of the game both packs sparred before punches were traded and warnings issued so the least said the better and the contest petered out until the final whistle.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching