Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Newquay Hornets host touring side
Your News Newquay Hornets host touring side

In the words of A.A. Milne, it was a blustery day, but there was no time for kite flying as Newquay took on touring side Wellington at the Sports centre on sunday. With both teams fielding large squads the play was divided into 4 quarters and as the game got underway it was Wellington who started the brighter applying early pressure from which they capitalised, going over for a try on the right wing. Although both teams made numerous handling errors it was Wellington who were moving the ball better and poor tackling from Newquay saw them extend their lead further. Newquay continued to work hard but too often lost the ball in the ruck or maul and then failed to contain Wellington as they moved the ball out wide. Losing the first period 25-0 the second period was to see a much more even contest. Indeed, as it progressed Newquay's aggressive defensive style, constantly chasing down their opponents when not in possession, coupled with strong determined drives when going forward saw them unlucky not to score and the period of play ended even. The third quarter saw Wellington once more take the initiative, moving the ball out wide and punishing Newquay when they failed to make decisive tackles, going on to score a further 8 tries as they dominated play. Newquay came back at Wellington in the last quarter forcing them onto the back foot. They surged forward and although Wellington tried desperately to contain them Ethan Morgan forced his way over in the right hand corner. Newquay didn't let up at the restart and Eddie Pearce was unlucky to be pushed into touch as he nearly made it through on the right hand side. Regaining possession from the subsequent throw in Newquay worked the ball well from right to left and Ethan Reed went over to score from close in.

Man of the Match: Ethan Reed and Lewis Hollings.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching