Username Password
join FREE
everything rugby
latestSearch News
Our Sponsor
Our Sponsor
Home > News > Yarnbury Hornets take centre stage as 1st XV have weekend off
Your News Yarnbury Hornets take centre stage as 1st XV have weekend off

Yarnbury 1st Team did not have a league fisture as The National EDF knockout competition took presidence this weekend so it was useful for knocks and bumps to heal for a week and a few players managed games with the lower sides.The Hornets pack was a second string and welcomed back their captain Wayne Butterfield at No8 who is always a carming influence and gave a run in the centre to Jason Iveson and Wayne Rayner on the wing.With Simon Threlfall on the other wing the backs looked to give hig flying Selby a run for their money in the swirling wind in East Yorkshire.

Yarnbury burst into the game early on with good quick hands from the backs set in motion well by stand off Matty Lawson finding winger Simon Threllfall in space made a monkey of the hesitant Selby wide backs by chipping over them and collecting his own kick and scoring in the corner.Mathew Lawson converting spectacularly in the windy conditions.This was a bonus because Selby got their game going and Yarnbury,particularly the forwards started charge forward through tackles and it was obvious the smaller Yarnbury pack had a difficult game on their hands with back row Dan Murphy,hooker Adam Knowles and prop Adam Pike putting in big hits to stop the Selby momentum.However with John Crane at wing forward and Wright Phillips at No 8 returning after injury Yarnbury had a big task stopping these big first team forwards.Prompted by ex England player Ray Adamson at Stand Off Yarnbury were repeatedly found back in their own 20 metres desparately defending and Selby began to run good ball again and again.Eventually the pressure told with tries from Wright Phillips and Hooker Harry Howley giving Selby the lead only for Yarnbury to come back with a try from James Iveson a constant thorn in the Selby side scoring near the posts and Lawson again converting.With Adamson converting two penalties and one back for Matt Lawson Yarnbury were still in touch at half time of an entertaining and close Merit Table game.21-17.

The second half gave Yarnbury the windy conditions but they made hard work of the conditions allowing Selb back row John Crane to score wide out to give them the lead again.Wayne Rayner was put away and his looping run outpaced the defence to score in the corner.Mathew Lawson converting from the touch line the extras which were so important against this Selby team.He then proceeded to take on International Adamson from Stand Off weaving his way under the posts for a solo try after good possession from the forwards who were bolstered and steadied in the scrummage by replacement second rows Mathew Atkins (back from working on the Costa del Sol) and David Hunter the Hornets player pushing for a regular first team spot replacing the energetic and enthusiastic stand in captain Ian Burrows and evergreen Mark Coates.Prop Adam Pike stood out for his upfront tackling and wing forward Richard Clabby for making hard yards on several occasions.

Yarnbury 3rds 13 Selby 3rds 3

Playing on the front pitch at Yarnbury is a daunting experience for any player, especially players that are possibly beyond their best or lacking in fitness. However both teams took it in their stride and gave a good display of controlled running rugby that was interrupted by the man with the whistle who in general had a good game but stopped the flow at times. It took 10 minutes for any notable scoring chance came about; Yarnbury missed a shot at goal after a minor infringement by Selby. At 26 minutes Yarnbury again missed a penalty goal chance only for kicker Gaz Poole to make amends 3 minutes later to make the score a massive 3 -0.

At half time Yarnbury introduced Andy Mayers at number 8 after a long injury layoff due to knee reconstruction. Mayers added the go forward needed to enable the backs to make the host of fast ball and start to pressurise Selby’s line. Selby however spoilt the party by adding 3 points after Yarnbury infringed in their own 22.

Yarnbury regained the lead through the boot of debutant Michael Delea, after another penalty was awarded within range. The game breaker came when a loose ball was hacked on by Yarnbury’s backs for hooker Alex Barker to pick the ball up midfield and scamper 35 yards to score his first senior rugby try. Delea converted to make the score 13-3.

The game was to and fro throughout with excellent defence and attack from both teams making Saturday afternoon enjoyable for all. Other notable performances came from debutants Chris Grose and Anton Savva. Yarnbury showed the true spirit of 3rd team rugby by only using one 1st team player who was returning from injury, although comments were made about the impact some players had on the game. These players were 3rd team players and are showing why they have lost only 1 game this season and scored 200 points under the captaincy and management of Mick Pound.

Yarnbury Nomads 46 Selby 4ths 16


Yarnbury led by captain and No8 Mark Cooper from the back of the scrum had too much experience and youth for Selby 4ths and in an entertaining game scored seven tries and four conversions and a penalty.

Tries were scored in regular fashion by centre colts Jack Butler and Alex Clark and wing Mick Baker converted by Matt harland.In the second half further tries were scored by Andy Keegan from the back row and Mark Cooper with second half substitutes in Adam Stephenson and 'Freddie' Mercer showing their experience in the second row .Selby replied with three penalties by the stand off steve scott.

join Free
Free Site
Online Coaching